Tanz Safari Quote

Reply

Jan 5th, 2006, 06:00 AM
  #21
bat
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,790
Hi Jules:
3 nights in Arusha (school visit one day and day trip to Arusha NP the next)
Crater (Serena)
Crater (Crater Lodge)
2 nights Olduvai
2 nights Ronjo
5 nights Nomad split between Ndutu and Piaya then off to Zbar
Less than 4 weeks to departure now!
bat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Jan 5th, 2006, 07:38 AM
  #22
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,510
Have a fantastic trip bat!
J
jules39 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Jan 5th, 2006, 07:42 AM
  #23
bat
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,790
thanks --expect a report late feb.
bat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Feb 16th, 2006, 02:11 PM
  #24
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,510
Well our itin planning seems to be going well. The only thing I have a concern about is that we are "waitlisted" for Ndutu lodge for Feb 2007! Our op seems to think that the rooms will clear in a few weeks mentioning what has been previously mentioned here in that a larger op may have a group booking. Am I crazy to feel anxious that these room will not become available this far out?
Thanks
J
jules39 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Mar 8th, 2006, 08:58 AM
  #25
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,510
Hi not sure if I should add this request for advice to this post or start another. So I will do it this way and see how it goes!
The itin we have set up for FEB is:
2 nights Tarangire Sopa
2 nights Ngoro Sopa
6 nights Ndutu WAITLISTED
2 nignts Serengeti Sopa
1 night Nogoro
Now my question/concern is that the Ndutu is waitlisted?! The op has booked Serengetti camp as a back up. Now I think the camp sounds better but the cost is more. I am not sure whether we should assume most of the Ndutu nights will come through and then we will do a few nights at the camp or whether we should try to restructure the itin now to avoid disappointment later?? I hope I am making sense here!
Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks so much

J
jules39 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Mar 8th, 2006, 09:14 AM
  #26
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 12,822
I don't have an answer for your Ndutu waitlist question but am curious about the Serengeti camp you mentioned. Where is it? What is it?
Patty is online now  
Reply With Quote
Mar 8th, 2006, 09:47 AM
  #27
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,510
Patty the link they gave me for the Serengetti camp is http://www.kirurumu.com/camps%20and%...eti%20camp.htm

J
jules39 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Mar 8th, 2006, 11:40 AM
  #28
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,222
You're waitlisted for ALL the nights at Ndutu? Jeez Louise. If you can possibly afford it I think I'd go for the camp and then switch about later if Ndutu gets some vacancies.

Maybe Eben knows about the quality/location of the Kirumrumu semi-perm camp.

By the way, your trip is going to be fab any way you slice it.
Leely is offline  
Reply With Quote
Mar 8th, 2006, 11:49 AM
  #29
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,510
Leely Jeez Louise is right and yes we are waitlisted for all the nights. Although I like the idea of the camp better that extra money is going to the gorillas or at least that was the plan. My hubby is starting to get the this is never going to happen feeling because of the Ndutu thing and beginning to wonder out loud if we should totally switch gears and choose another destination off our "where we want to go list". So we would really love some feedback from folks here.
Thanks again
J
jules39 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Mar 8th, 2006, 12:04 PM
  #30
bat
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,790
Jules:
All I can tell you about Ndutu is that in my correspondence with them (directly with them, not through an operator)last April, when they were already full, they assured me that their dates would open up. I opted for some place else where I could get an confirmed reservation but I kind of watched Ndutu on and off and it did seem that dates opened.
Re the serengeti camp--it looks nice and I believe it is Hoopoe, which has a good reputation. Who is your local operator? I also noticed on Hoopoe's site that they said they have some new safari vehicles with fridges and inverters.

Since your operator is willing to book the camp as a back up, why not? And I would seriously consider splitting the time between Ndutu lodge and the tented camp because it will be a very different experience--otherwise you are all lodges.
bat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Mar 8th, 2006, 12:05 PM
  #31
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,354
Kirurumu Mobile Camp is just fine and affordable compared with many others.

Those guys know how to set up camp! Location is unknown. One has to believe they set up according to wildlife movements. I've seen them at Naabi, Ndutu, and Moru in Jan-March.

Frankly, I would choose their camp before Ndutu Lodge which can be a bit cold in terms of service and rather crowded when full. 6 nights at Ndutu Lodge is quite long if the migration and rains stay away as we saw this past Feb.
climbhighsleeplow is offline  
Reply With Quote
Mar 8th, 2006, 12:09 PM
  #32
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,222
Jules,

How much more $ is the Kirurumu? I would find it very strange if some of your nights at Ndutu didn't open up closer to departure. I believe Sonali was suddenly able to get a room at Ndutu in Feb very last minute, although she didn't end up going.

Before your husband starts writing off the whole trip, have you considered shortening the TZ portion in order to better afford the gorilla tracking? Not an ideal solution, of course, but you could still get to all the places you want to visit and revisit.
Leely is offline  
Reply With Quote
Mar 8th, 2006, 01:50 PM
  #33
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,510
The camp is an extra US$300 per night our op says they feel Ndutu will clear but the thing is how far down the track could you get before you find out one way or the other. Could we find out just before departure that we have to pay out more money. I know the trip will be awsome. I guess we are just second guessing but we don't want to be pushed into overextending our budget at the last minute. Sorry to sound to uncertain.
Eben I totally agree with you that the camp would be a better atmosphere they have been my favorite accomidations in the past.
Thanks all
J
jules39 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Mar 9th, 2006, 06:15 AM
  #34
bat
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,790
Jules:
I think that it will clear (as I said before, the person at the lodge was very adamant about dates opening)--and this way, in the meantime, you can think about whether you might actually prefer a split between the two.

It actually may be a lucky break--because I am with eben about 6 nights at the lodge being a risk. When we stayed at the Nomad camp in the area we stopped by to look at the lodge--and I think that it is nice, and good value, but I would strongly advise trying to mix in some nights at a small intimate camp--especially given your overall itinerary.
bat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Mar 9th, 2006, 08:33 AM
  #35
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,510
Thanks bat I appreciate your reassurance. Our op also keeps telling us the dates will clear. We are probably going to take a few nights in the camp once we see how the dates open up so we can figure out a good split (hopefully). I know what you are saying about the "lucky break" and also know once I am there I will have forgotten worrying about this!
Oh I also really enjoyed reading all about your trip. Thanks for that. J
jules39 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Mar 9th, 2006, 08:35 AM
  #36
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,510
Eben I forgot to thank you for your run down on the camp itself it is good to hear from someone I concider well informed on these things that the camp is good.
Bat our local op is Roy's
Thanks again
J
jules39 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Mar 9th, 2006, 08:45 AM
  #37
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,354
Jules

2006 Rack rate for the excellent Serengeti camp is $270 ppn + camp fees and park fees.

climbhighsleeplow is offline  
Reply With Quote
Mar 9th, 2006, 08:48 AM
  #38
bat
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,790
eben do you know how much park and camp fees (at a private camp site) are in the NCA and in the Serengeti? Thanks.
bat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Mar 9th, 2006, 08:51 AM
  #39
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,510
Eben is that the camp I gave you the link to or a different one?
Thanks J
jules39 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Mar 9th, 2006, 08:52 AM
  #40
bat
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,790
Jules:
Thanks for the feedback on the trip report.
You have probably already thought of this but if you split days and have a choice I would stay at Ndutu Lodge first and then go to the tent camp for 2 reasons--I think that you will enjoy the tent camp more and if it is located at Naabi or Moru where eben has sometimes seen it--those locations would be on the way to your next stop in the central area.
bat is offline  
Reply With Quote
 



Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


FODOR'S VIDEO

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:42 PM.