Tanz/Kenya Local Currency

Jan 24th, 2005, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Tanz/Kenya Local Currency

Hi Everyone

We leave on Sat for our 3 weeks in Tanz & Kenya. (To say I am excited would be an understatent!!)

Some input please. We are contemplating how much money we should concider changing into local currency once we arrive. We are going on a 2Afrika trip and there advice has been "not too much"! We have US$ cash. I know everyone will be different but I am looking for a ball park figure only. From what I understand at the lodges etc a fair bit of stuff can be paid for with US$. Any input from any of you will be greatly appreciated.

Let me also take this oportuinity to thank all of you for the info I have picked up from you over the past months. Even if I haven't posted my questions I have gained a lot of info from reading through your posts.

J
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:35 AM
sandi

jules39 - Do a "search" on this board under the words "currency" or "tipping" in East Africa of just Africa and you will find a number of threads on that subject. You will get a good idea of whether to use local currencies and where, or USD and for whom.

Have a wonderful trip, travel safe and we look forward to your tales when you return.

Jan 25th, 2005, 04:05 AM

You may want to read trip report we submitted from our trip in June, 2004. Basically you can pay for just about everything with US dollars. Suggest you take plenty of ones for daily tips (especially to luggage carriers) and then larger denominations for purchases and camp/lodge tips. Need 50 dollar bills for obtaining visas. Also, I recall getting a better exchange rate when I used larger bills in US currency. Our 2Afrika guide took us toa money exchange in Arusha and we got a very good rate. I do recall getting Kenyan currency at lodge (Lake Nykuru I think) and also paid a commission for such. One nice thing about having a few dollars and the odd change in local currency is you can always use that as part of camp/lodge tip or final one to guide. Have a great trip and please share trip report and photos with us. I need a "fix"
Dick
Feb 3rd, 2005, 09:57 AM

My husband and I returned this week from 2 weeks in Kenya and tanzania. Between us we took 100 ones and it was barely enough.There is a lot of tipping involved. You will pay cash for any trinkets you buy outside of a gift shop. Also take lots of 5's and 10's. When you buy something, the vendors never seem to have change and will tell you to take your change in merchandise! We took $700 and needed to stop at an ATM for more . Our guide took us to Barclays Bank which seems to be THE bank in Kenya. Have a wonderful trip. I'm still on cloud 9 from mine!

Search this Thread