2 safaris or 1 + Cape Town

Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 safaris or 1 + Cape Town

We are planning a trip next September, so far this is what we have narrowed it down to:Tanzania safari,Zanzibar then a Botswana safari. We wanted to include Cape Town but we are now over our budget. Would we be better off taking only 1 safari and including Cape Town or are the safaris in Botswana and Tanzania significantly different. Thanks for any thoughts you have on this.
Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 03:10 PM

In my opinion, Cape Town's weather is a bit iffy in September. It's early spring. You may get very pleasant, sunny days, but you may get cool, wet weather with what the tourist brochures call "bracing" winds.

I have not been to East Africa, so unfortunately I cannot answer the rest of your question.
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 04:02 AM
sandi

Safari in Tanzania and Botswana can be different, depending on where you are visiting in each country.

In Tanzania you have the northern, southern and western circuits as well as the coastal islands. In Botswana you have the Delta, Moremi or Chobe areas.

Where are you thinking of going in each can determine the differences. Though I should advise, that September is a perfect time to be in the Masai Mara in Kenya, as that is where the Wildebeest/Zebra/Antelope Migration takes place.

Safari encompasses a lot. So if you let us know where you are planning to visit, we can better advise.

Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

In Tanzania we are looking at Tarangire Park,Serengeti Naytional Park and the Ngorongoro Crater via the Olduvai Gorge. In Botswana the Okavango Delta, Moremi Game Reserve and Chobi. Would these two safaris be quite different?
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 01:13 PM
sandi

The Delta in Botswana is unique in itself and unlike any place else. Haven't been to Moremi, but can tell you that Chobe would be more like Tanzania.

Tarangire in Tanzania has it's own mini-migration between mid-June thru October, so that's a good stop, and the Ngorongoro Crater is another unique environment. However, for the time of year - September - I still feel you should spend time in the Masai Mara in Kenya where all the activity will be, and actually pass on the Serengeti.

You also don't mention how many days/weeks you are allowing for this adventure, and the flights in/out of these countries - you have to allow for travel time and schedules.

Old Dec 5th, 2004, 04:03 AM

I'm not sure what we are talking about here - are the safaris significantly different? You mean animals, environment, services? Sticking to the environment/animals - I think I would go to Botswana but skip Chobe - the Okavango is unique - and visit Cape Town. There's more to "Africa" than animals and CT is a fabulous city.
Whatever you do - don't skip Zanzibar!
Alternatively if time is not a problem you could do it all but slum it somewhere and use the money to visit CT.

(and winelands
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 02:32 PM

Do you enjoy wildlife or city life....? Answer that and you'll be on your way.
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone who has responded. We decided to do Cape Town on another trip. We have booked are safaris and are very excited even though it is so far away. We are doing the Tanzania safari first (a lodge safari)then flying to Botswana for a camping safari. We end in Vic Falls and will spend 3 or 4 days there on our own before flying to Zanzibar for 1 week. If anyone has suggestions about where to stay in Zanzibar I would love to hear them. We thought we would stay our first night and lst night in Stonetown at Emerson & Green. Also does anyone know of a good hotel in Narobi to stay for 2 nights, for under $100 a night. Thank you.
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 05:23 PM

For under $100.00 a night I'd check the Boulevard Hotel and the Norfolk, both in a very good location on Harry Thuku Road. Of the two, the Norfolk is better but also a little more expensive. Both have the location (about 2 minutes apart), both have good security and both are clean with helpful staffs. I've stayed at both, the Boulevard when the budget is tighter and the Norfolk when I don't care as much about the $. The Norfolk does a better job with the above factors. Enjoy.
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 06:08 AM

Hi canuckbc

Having read with interest your itinerary, you really are going backwards and forwards and all over the show, you are doing Tanzania, Botswana, Vic Falls and then Zanzibar if you can try and turn it around and do as follows:
Fly to South Africa and connect to Botswana, the to Victoria Falls and fly from there to Harare and then connect with a flight to Nairobi. Stay at the Holiday Inn in Nairobi and then do the game parks in Kenya, contimue onto Tanzania, fly to Zanzibar and home, getting the routing right will save you quiet a bit of money as well!