Tanktops

Feb 29th, 2000, 05:23 PM
Dick

Tanktops

Will be in Egypt on Globus Tour in late June. Our daughters want to know if attire such as tank tops and shorts are okay?

Feb 29th, 2000, 05:43 PM
Martha

I wouldn't recommend tank tops for a few reasons. The sun is really strong and it's a great way to get a sunburn,tank tops will scream American tourist and while walking in the streets of a place like Luxor everybody will be wearing loose clothes that aren't close to the body and your daughters could attract some unwanted attention. T-shirts and modest shorts would be fine

Mar 1st, 2000, 03:37 AM
Dick

Thanks Martha. Will convey the message.

Mar 3rd, 2000, 02:38 PM
Karen

Was on a Globus Tour of Egypt in April, 1999. I wouldn't recommend tank tops, either. Apparently, upper arms on women attract unwanted attention. T-shirts and modest shorts were worn everywhere. Loose fitting and cotton or linen for the heat is recommended. Have a great time!!!

Mar 16th, 2000, 05:36 AM
Maadimom

I am an American living in Cairo. I have a 16 year old daughter. You will see a lot of girls and women wearing tank tops in June, but I wouldn't advise it. But, be warned. It doesn't matter what your daughters wear. They will be given tons of unwanted attention. I can't even walk to my car from my apartment without receiving some kind of remark.

Don't mean to make it sound unsafe or anything. I never have felt threatened, just annoyed. The western woman is constantly thought of in a Bay Watch, VIP way.

Mar 16th, 2000, 11:33 AM
Dick

Thanks Maadimom, we appreciate the alert. We are still looking forward to seeing your part of the world.
Dick

Mar 21st, 2000, 05:51 PM
kathy

Any guide book or tour literature will tell you that moslems are very conservative and are offended it women are uncovered. I made a point of wearing long sleeves (linen is cool) and slacks or a long skirt(all fashionable) when in the cities or at the temples.

Luxor especially is very conservative. When we were there the French tour groups stood out because of the inappropriate dress of the men and women - short shorts, tube tops, etc.

Your daughters should learn that it is important to respect the customs of other countries. Tank tops and shorts and bathing suits are fine for the hotel pools - but nowhere else.

Search this Thread