Tangier - Easter Sunday

Oct 21st, 1997, 08:10 AM
Karen

Tangier - Easter Sunday

I will be in Tangiers for one day only (Easter Sunday - April 12th). What do you recommended as a must see. Will being a Sunday affect what is availble? (Not to sure when the Muslim sabbath is.)

Dec 15th, 1997, 06:46 AM
Bob and Anna

Know something of the places you will visit, even if for only 1 day. Moslem Sabbath is Friday, so all should be open except possibly for things pertaining to the U.S.. American Legation Museum on Zankat America and Forbes Museum might be closed. Do not photograph anyone without asking first and no photos of Morrocan armed forces personnel in uniform. I hear on the net, to not stray from your tour in Tangiers. Not to go it alone! ??? Good site is www.maroc.net..

Dec 21st, 1997, 10:11 AM
julia

Tangier is a frontier town -- many visitors to Europe hop over for the day. I wouldn't recommend it. I lived in Morocco for years and enjoyed Tangier then, but I would not choose to visit for only a day.

Jan 3rd, 1998, 12:20 PM
D.J. DeProspero

My family and I just returned from a trip in Andalucia which included a one-day (2 nights) hop to Tangier. It was a nightmare from the moment we stepped off the ferry until we got back on. The local "guides" begin to harass tourists at the port and don't let up for a minute, including hopping into taxis with you, and following you into your hotel (we stayed at El Minzah, recommended by Fodors as the best in town - we were not comfortable even there). We came to the conclusion that they all worked together. We heard from many others that Fez, Meknes and Marrakesh were wonderful, but that Tangiers was the worst. I doubt that we'll return to see the good places -- I strongly advise against going to Tangiers for a day - especially a woman on her own.

Search this Thread