Tanda Tula, Timbavati Game Reserve

May 8th, 2004, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

Tanda Tula, Timbavati Game Reserve

Anyone been to Tanda Tula Safari Camp? Would love to hear your thoughts on it. We are already booked for Jan 2005 so hope comments are good!
May 10th, 2004, 01:48 AM
Original Poster

Having now read all the posts here it seems like Sabi Sands is the favoured reserve over Timbavati. Have we booked the wrong place? Is the game viewing so much better in Sabi Sands? I liked the look of Tanda Tula as it didn't appear to be so over the top on the deluxe front - I don't really need a gym or choice of 1000s of wines whilst on safari. It also sounded as though there weren't as many game vehicles all looking for the same animals. But is that because there aren't so many animals in Timbavati so fewer people go there? We have booked Tanda Tula now but I would really like the experts views. This will be our first time to South Africa. Before going to Tanda Tula we are spending 4 nights in Plettenberg and 6 nights in Cape Town. We will be in Cape Town for New Year - does anyone have any suggestions for what to do on New Year's Eve? We will be spending most of our time in Cape Town at the South Africa v England test match (my husband's choice not mine!) so will have limited sightseeing time. I would love to do a day trip to the winelands but I think the only free day we have is 1st Jan. Does anyone know if the wineries are open on 1st Jan? Look forward to receiving any suggestions.
May 12th, 2004, 01:49 PM

Relax -- Timbavati is full of game. We agonized over the same issues since Sabi seemed to be THE place, but though we've never been to Sabi, safari regulars along the way told us that it has great game, but the large number of large camps there can mean a lot more traffic at sightings.

We stayed at Umlani in Nov. which shares traversing rights w/ Tanda Tula, and we saw everything we wanted to see, especially lions and cheetah, over 3-4 days, except for a very elusive leopard. And never more than a couple of other landrovers at any one time. Tanda Tula looked nice and plenty luxurious.

Have fun. It was the best trip we ever took! And easier to travel and get around than we'd thought. I'd go back to Timbavati in a minute.
May 15th, 2004, 02:52 AM
Original Poster

tikiwiki,
Thanks for your help. Glad you saw lions & cheetah - the big cats are my favourites. Hope we will see leopard also. Sounds like we have booked a good place after all and I'm glad that there aren't masses of vehicles at each sighting. We went to Kenya many years ago (Tsavo & Amboseli) and although it was amazing seeing the animals 20 game vehicles round one cheetah rather spoilt things for us. We're not leaving for South Africa til end Dec but I'll let you know how we get on.

Search this Thread