Taking photos in the Omo Valley

Aug 9th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Taking photos in the Omo Valley

Will be taking a two week tour from Addis to the Omo Valley and back. I have been told that the people in the Omo Valley can become very aggressive about how much they get paid for having photos taken. I was wondering if anyone knows what the "going rate" is. I will be traveling in a small group...only four of us, but we will have a trip leader and driver with us. Hopefully we can count on them to do the negotiating for us. Very excited about my upcoming trip!\
Aug 10th, 2012, 04:07 AM

I will looking forward for the pictures you'll take. Hope, you'll share them with us! =)
Aug 10th, 2012, 04:36 PM

When I went last September, we stopped and picked up a local translator before we went to every village. He negotiated with the chief of each tribe before we took pictures and we paid 10 birr to each person we took pictures of. So if all 4 people (we had 4 also) took pictures of the same person they were paid 40 birr. If only one person took a picture of someone they were paid 10 birr.

Did you see my trip report? Lots of details. http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...omo-valley.cfm and here is the same trip report with photos included http://safaritalk.net/topic/7566-ethiopia/

Have a great trip! I would love to go back.
Aug 11th, 2012, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Sundowner...I can't thank you enough. We were very excited about our trip, but now I am beyond that. Your trip report and photos were incredible. Thanks again.
Lorraine

Search this Thread