Take Needles / Syeringes??

Apr 28th, 2004, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

Take Needles / Syeringes??

We have been told it is wise to take a couple of syeringes and needles. Just in case. Has anyone done this?

Have also heard we could get detained for questioning in customs for potential drug use. Does anyone have actual experience with taking a couple of needles into Africa???
Apr 29th, 2004, 01:33 AM

I have done this on occasion depending on remoteness of destination.

Used them once when I got ill in India and I was staying with an Aunt and she could NOT get any doctor she knew to come and visit and eventually they found someone but... I think he might have been a vet... and so I insisted in my almost unconscious state that he use MY needles and that he wash his hands properly first.

You'd need to pack them in your main luggage not cabin luggage and should be OK if they are obviously part of a first aid kit.
Apr 29th, 2004, 04:06 AM
sandi

Whether you are taking syringes and needles for a specific health reason, ie, diabetes, or any other, or due to the nature of the possible lack of proper health care in the country you are visiting - have a doctors note to such effect. There is no guarantee what bags will be opened/what not and the answer that will be needed if this happens. A doctors note, helps.

It is also a good idea to know the blood-type of the person you are traveling with should an incident occur where blood transfer is required. This isn't to say that you and your travel partner will have the same blood-type, or one is a universal O donor, but this is something you should know.

Search this Thread