Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > TABLE BAy or CAPE GRACE ? which is best hotel for us ?

TABLE BAy or CAPE GRACE ? which is best hotel for us ?

Dec 27th, 2002, 08:58 AM
Sally

TABLE BAy or CAPE GRACE ? which is best hotel for us ?

we are thinking of travelling to cape town in April wiht our nine year old son. Want to stayn on waterfront. Liked sound of cape grace hotel but recent 'rants and raves'a little negative. Any information on either hotel welcome. Our son is keen that there is a reasonable swimming pool and we are keen there the food is good !

Dec 27th, 2002, 05:42 PM
Selwyn Davidowitz

Hi Sally,

If I had to rate the 2 hotels for what I regard as my own personal needs they would be in order of The Cape Grace first with the Table Bay coming in second. What I must add is that the Cape Grace would be many spots ahead of the Table Bay in that I rate it so highly. To this I have to add the fact that one mans meat is another mans poison and with that said you and your family might be the sort of folk who want a closely knit, intimate hotel. If this is the case I would select the Grace which has 100 rooms whereas the Table Bay has over 200 rooms. If you want to experience the hustle and bustle of a HUGE well run 5 star hotel then the Table Bay is where you should stay.

In terms of dining facilities the Grace has an excellent, brand new single restaurant (aptly named as ONE) whereas the Table Bay has 2 places to eat at that are slightly above a Cape Town average. With that said you probably wont even eat at any of these venues as there are so many other places to want to eat at in Cape Town that are such wonderful places to enjoy great dining.

As far as swimming pools are concerned both hotels have excellent facilities in this regard.

You mention that recent rant and raves about the Grace have not been good. I have not seen these reports however I must tell you that as a tour operator/guide I have travelled with many folk who stay at the Grace and the Table Bay. All I can tell you is that I find that the average feeling about the Table Bay is that it is a good hotel. When it comes to the Grace, without fail every visitor has raved about their fabulous stay at the hotel. On 2 occasions I have even heard the statement, “the hotel service is TOO efficient”

In summary may I say that if you stayed at the Table Bay I am sure that you would not be disappointed and your stay will go down in temporary memory as another good place that you resided at in your lifetime. When you stay at the Grace once again you will not be disappointed however the subtle difference to a Table Bay stay would be that at the Grace your stay would be a much more classy and private event which definitely will become a lifelong lasting memorable experience.

Hope this helps you in making decisions and may I wish you a wonderful stay in our great city.

Selwyn Davidowitz

Dec 28th, 2002, 11:23 PM
Karen

Both hotels are excellent venues, but with a nine year old in mind, I would pick the Table Bay with it's proximity to the waterfront and all it's activities. The Grace may be a tad too elegant and formal for the average 9 year old boy to enjoy.

Karen

Dec 29th, 2002, 02:58 PM
james

Two good responses, but as someone who has stayed at both, I've The Bay - The Grace is a superb international hotel - could be anywhere in the world, food I thought only average and the pool is tiny. You and your son would be better off at the Bay if you really need to be in the waterfront.(Incidentally, if anyone mentions the Victoria & Alfred, forget it, no pool etc....lovely small hotel that it is). I think there are alternatives worth looking at which are well documented on this web-site. Whatever, you'll enjoy wherever you stay, it's a great city - read Selwyn's stuff - it's all pretty relevant advice from a local...

Search this Thread