Syria for American caucasians?

Jul 21st, 2002, 11:26 AM
Elizabeth

Syria for American caucasians?

I'm very seriously considering an invitation to visit Syria next summer with a friend of mine who has family there. We would be staying with her family in the mountains but traveling around a bit as well. While I know my friend would never put me in harms way, I have to ask: how safe is it for a blonde hair, blue eyed American female to travel there with another female? How will I be perceived? My friend is incredible helpful in explaining the culture and taboos but I still wonder about how the general atmosphere toward Americans. If anyone has been there or has suggestions for me I'd very much appreciate it.

Jul 24th, 2002, 08:16 AM
Dave

My wife and I went to Syria a couple of years ago, and it was one of our best trips. The people were about the friendliest that I ever met in over 30 countries. I think the reason is that no matter what they have been told about the US for the last 40 years, everyone has a relative somewhere in the US.

Very interesting sites. A lot of different types of things to see.

I admit I am not sure about the current politic climate, but apart from that, it is a great trip

Search this Thread