Sweetwaters vs Mt Kenya Safari Club

Aug 23rd, 2001, 05:49 AM
Betsy

Sweetwaters vs Mt Kenya Safari Club

We are trying to decide between a stay at these two places. Does anyone have an opinion to share? Many thanks...

Aug 24th, 2001, 08:05 AM
Hans

We spent one night at Mt. Kenya Safari Club last year on an Abercrombie safari and, for the life of me, I can not figure out why it is consistently rated as one of the best hotels in Africa. Athough the main building is very nice and the grounds spectaular, we found the rooms to be much in need of renovation and the atmosphere very stuffy. The service and food were, however, very good as well. When we asked our guide why we spent a day at the hotel, he indicated that after six nights in tented camps they felt a night at the hotel was much appreciated by the guests as the club is a more traditional hotel like experience. If you think this is something you will need, the stay will be a fine one, but, from my perspective, I would rather spend the day in the bush and seeing more animals than sitting in a hotel (albeit one with great views and the chance to swim on the equator). We did not stay at Sweetwaters--which I understand is pretty close to the club--but my feeling is unless you think you will need a break from the "safari" experience, my vote would be to pass on the Mt. Kenya Safari Club.

Aug 26th, 2001, 06:10 PM
TC

Couldn't agree more. We thought the MKSC was a very nice old gentlemen's hunting club. However, it is badly in need of upgrades, the food was so-so, and the gift gallery of art grossly overpriced. The only wildlife we saw were monkeys scrounging through the trash bins. I would much rather have spent the time at Sweetwaters. Hans' assessment is right on the mark.

Search this Thread