Swala vs Mawe Ninga

Oct 4th, 2004, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Swala vs Mawe Ninga

Has anyone stayed at Mawe Ninga Camp in Tarangire? Do you recommend it? We are considering downgrading from Swala to Mawe Ninga and are trying to decide if it's worth it.
Oct 5th, 2004, 12:15 AM

We had a couple of nights at Mawe Ninga a few weeks ago. I haven't seen Swala Camp so can't compare - however I can compare it to the other lodges we stayed in - Crater Lodge, Sand Rivers and Olduvai Camp. The first two are considerably more expensive and certainly better. Olduvai is run by the same people that run Mawe Ninga, the difference being the Olduvai is much more established and better run. Mawe Ninga is pretty new (this season, I believe) and it shows a little in terms of service. Having said that, the tented rooms are nice and roomy, although be aware that the toilet is a chemical one and there is no running water. This isn't a problem as you still get hot water in the morning for a shower.
The food is ok if you like beef and more beef. The views are spectacular from both the rooms and the main dinging area, with a lovely fire to sit around in the evening. Mawe Ninga (like Olduvai) also offers an opportunity for genuine masai interaction, especially around the camp fire at night.
We had our first two nights of safari at Mawe Ninga and Kenya Airways had managed to lose our luggage (surprise surprise) so we weren't fully relaxed as we had been wearing the same clothes for over three days adn had no idea if our luggage would turn up. However, Tarangire is a fantastic place and well worth visiting, especially at this time of year.
Mawe Ninga is certainly rough around the edges but offers fabulous views and a more 'african experience' compared to the more expensive, often western run upscale lodges.
Let me know if you need any more details.
Oct 5th, 2004, 03:05 AM

Have you considered Kikoti which is just outside the Tarangire park.

http://www.savannahcamps.com/scl/kikoticamp.html

We are staying there the first two nights of our holiday which starts next week

I've heard quite good things about this camp already and will be able to post from personal experience when we return from Tanzania.
Oct 12th, 2004, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all. Currently, we are booked at Kikoti and wait listed at Swala. I think Mawe Ninga may have been too rough for us folks.

RuthieC, can't wait to hear about your trip!

Thanks!

Search this Thread