SUPRISE TRIP TO CAPETOWN

Mar 24th, 2001, 04:24 AM
donna

SUPRISE TRIP TO CAPETOWN

I have arranged a holiday in Capetown and Mossel Bay over Easter for two weeks, this is a surprise for my husbands 30th Birthday, he thinks he is going to Spain. We are spending 5 nights in Capetown and 7 nights in Mossel Bay, plan to go bungi jumping, cangoo gaves, ostrich farms etc, can anyone give me some ideas on what not to miss on the garden route or in Capetown, very difficult trying to plan everything without my husband finding out.
thanks in advance

Mar 24th, 2001, 10:47 AM
kay

From Mossel Bay you can go over the pass to Oudtshoorn to the Cango Caves and to an ostrich farm. Go to Knysna which is a great town and swim at the Heads if you possible. I think it may be a bit far to visit Plettenberg Bay. The Wilderness is lovely - walk along the beach. It is a beautiful part of the world. The penguins at the Boulders near CT are a sight to see. there are some great craft markets in CT over the weekends ask around eg Hout Bay, Rondebosch, Constantia.

Mar 25th, 2001, 11:30 PM
Local

Donna, you do not say if it will be your first visit to SA, but if it is, prepare yourself for the best sights on earth!

Five nights in CT is squeezing it a little but consider the following:

- Go up Table Mountain with the cable car (also by night is quite special)
- Walk around the Water Front (I still think its a glorified shopping centre but a good one at that) - eat at the Muscle Cracker close to the movie theatres
- Visit the Castle (oldest building in town)
- Visit one of the wine routes - I would recommend the one that includes the Bergkelder in Stellenbosch where you go into the mountain to taste some wine
- Visit Robben Island (have not been there myself but apparently quite an experience)
- Catch a boat ride from Hout Bay - phone beforehand to confirm if weather is OK for trip
- Visit Clifton Beach to see good beaches and many well burned bodies....
- Go to Bloubergstrand for a romantic view of sunset behind Table Mountain

Kay's advice about Mossel Bay is good, I would confirm a visit to Knysna. Definitely include a trip on the Outeniqua Choo-Choo which is a steam train that runs along the sea from Knysna to George - they take you back to Knysna by car.

There is also a lion or crocodile farm close to the ostrich farms that is quite something to see.

Plettenberg Bay is not that far away - easily driveable.

Don't forget to get "biltong" (the SA version of beef jerky - and much better!) and "droŽ wors" (dried sausage). You will also be able to get ostrich biltong and should be able to get shark biltong in the area.

One note of caution - as it is Easter, all these places will be VERY busy with visitors from inland and may (will) be more expensive than normal.

Apart from that you are in for the time of your life!

Apr 3rd, 2001, 03:38 AM
james

Good advice above - but I'm sure you've got it the wrong way around - 7 nights in Cape Town would be better. Or a night or two in the winelands which are only a hour away. If it's a special trip try The Grande Roche in Paarl. Have a pique-nique at Boschendal vineyard - they provide a delicious hamper for you, but book ahead.
Robben Island is a must. Blues Restaurant in Camps Bay is a great lunch spot. Groot Constantia winery has immense history,worth seeing, then go for lunch down the road at Buitenvewachting. Above all, enjoy the trip - it really is one of the most wonderful places on earth!

Search this Thread