Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Super Bowl in Cape Town? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/super-bowl-in-cape-town-494030/)

irishdame Jan 9th, 2005 03:51 PM

Super Bowl in Cape Town?

My brother will be in Cape Town when the Super Bowl is being played and we're hoping someone might know of a bar that will show the game live?

Thanks an GO STEELERS!!!

Roccco Jan 9th, 2005 05:19 PM

Considering that the Super Bowl will likely start at about 1:15AM local time, and end around 4:30AM, your brother may be hard pressed to find a place that will be broadcasting the game.

Perhaps his best bet may be renting a self-catering luxury apartment that may have satellite television. Or, maybe if he is staying at a very posh hotel such as the Cape Grace or Table Bay Mountain, it may be televised on their systems?

I have watched NBA games and MLB games while in Asia and Europe right from my hotel room before. The downside that I see is that Fox is broadcasting this superbowl. Had ABC, on the other hand, been broadcasting this Super Bowl, then I would not have been surprised if ESPN would have been able to show it overseas, since ABC owns ESPN.

While I know that ESPN is pretty much worldwide now, I don't think that Fox Sports is yet in the same category.

If all else fails, perhaps he can watch it on the internet somehow if he takes along a laptop and stays in a nice enough hotel to have a high-speed internet connection.

Good luck with the Super Bowl and better luck in the Steelers stopping either Peyton Manning and the Colts or the Patriots! ;)

Selwyn_Davidowitz Jan 9th, 2005 11:56 PM

Irishdame,

Hate to have to tell you that there is virtualy no interest in the Superbowl in South Africa. 99% of South Africans (And other ountries of the world barring America) dont fully undertand NFL rules let alone follow the game. In South Africa cricket and tennis holds much more of an interest to South Africans than pro football, which I must tell you South African rugby fans think is a game for sissies relative to the game of rugby. :) Go to http://www.supersport.co.za and you will see exactly what I mean.

One of the big problems with the Superbowl conference playoff dates is that it clashes with the singles final of the Australian tennis open so because tennis is more of an international sport it is getting a priority rating by the TV channels over conference playoffs. I must tell you that this is a dissapointment to me too as I would rather watch the NFL but cest la vie.

All of the above results in the fact that Superbowl MIGHT be broadcast live in SA as the SABC SOMETIMES buy the rights to show the game. (we dont get Fox or CBS on our satellite channels). I will only be able to confirm this when the February TV schedule is published at the end of January. Anyway this all might be a boon to your brother because not the Steelers but my team, that I have been supporting for 10 years, viz. the Vikings are going to win Superbowl. :)

I will keep you posted via this thread on Fodors whether Superbowl is going to be broadcast live or not and if so where your brother might be able to watch the game.

Very proudly part of the wonderful ((r)) nation of South Africa

irishdame Jan 11th, 2005 07:34 PM

Thanks for the information and help,
I'll pass it on to my brother.

I know American football is not well understood in SA but I gotta beleive there is at least one bar, somewhere that will have it on. Friends of mine have watched Monday Night Football in Thailand at 8am....World Series at 3am in Italy and here in Clearwater FL I know of bars that show soccer from the UK at 4am, serving bangers 'n mash!

Not to worry Roccco, my STEELERS will prevail...even with a rookie QB!

And Selwyn, even if the Vikes go...they'll get crushed by the STEELERS!

ArthurSA Jan 11th, 2005 11:21 PM

It will be televised live on ESPN. And I think repeated at a more sane hour later that morning. ESPN is channel 33 of our local satellite service "DSTV". At present the playoffs are being screened (e.g. this Sunday, AFL) as well as highlights of previous SB games. E.g. AFL this Sunday 3am live (repeated 13hoo), followed by highlights of SB XXXIV, St Louis Rams vs Tennessee Titans.

The program is not out yet for February, neither printed nor online, but I'll try and remember to look for details near the end of this month and re-post.

The question would then be who is showing it? That's obviously not the time that regular bars are open, especially early hours Sunday morning, but perhaps one or more will do so as a special event. How about checking with the U.S. Consulate in CT at the time?

ESPN is not usually part of the more limited DSTV selection that is shown by hotels. That usually includes one or more other DSTV dedicated sports channels, but not ESPN. Although perhaps 5* hotels might be an exception.

ArthurSA Jan 12th, 2005 12:00 AM

I had a brainwave. Or what passes for one in mine. I’m not in CT but I went to the website of the Sports Café at the V&A Waterfront, www.sportscafe.co.za. I called them but they couldn’t help until the manager got in later. But the Marketing and Sales Manager listed on the website, Maggie, was very helpful.

Maggie she said that they had screened it last year because there was a special request, although there wasn’t a huge crowd. But they are considering it again this year and have spoken to the U.S. Consulate to try and get some feedback and to publicise it should they decide to open. Maggie volunteered her e-mail address (which is on that website), it is [email protected]. Her tel. no. is +27 21 430-3310. That of the V&A restaurant (there is also an outlet at airport domestic departures) is +27 21 419-5588.

irishdame Jan 13th, 2005 04:41 AM

Thank you Thank you and thanks again AuthurSA! Watching the game live is quite important, it loses it luster if might know the outcome!
Your research is most appreciated and we'll be contacting Maggie at the Sports Bar and beg them to put it on!

Thanks again!

rpatelrpatel Jan 21st, 2005 03:26 PM

I will be in Capetown also - for the Superbowl and Conference Championships - i am so happy it will be on ESPN there - and thanks so much for the posts and research - Arthur SA - I hope sportscafe will be open to see it. I am a Steelers fan also. ArthurSA - what is the schedule for the conf championships - will they show both games - or just the steelers AFC championship game at 3am - Monday the 24th. I arrive at 8am Sunday.
bye,
Ritesh - i can be reach in capetown at 21-696-5491- I would love to watch the game with someone....b

ArthurSA Jan 23rd, 2005 01:49 AM

I haven't received my DSTV schedule in the mail yet, should be any day now. Meanwhile, you can look through the "Next 7 days" option at http://www.dstv.com/dstv-guide/defau...=3&sType=1

ArthurSA Jan 26th, 2005 03:22 AM

I've received my DSTV schedules for February, but I'm afraid the info for ESPN is even less informative than the website, if that's possible.

So that link is really your only option for programming, short of calling Multichoice. Should you do that, using the contact number on the website, don't be surprised to then be given a different number to call. I've been through the process in the past! And it's complicated by the fact that although ESPN is a sports channel on DSTV, it's not part of DSTV's "SuperSport", which even has its own website and usually better programming details.