sunscreen

Jun 7th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

sunscreen

In coming up with a packing list for our upcoming safari, I know we need to pack sun screen but we have no idea how much we would need for two weeks for each of us. We expect to be out in the sun quite a bit as the vehicles are open. It is a large item to pack so we want to do as little as possible but have enough. Is one 8 oz bottle/tube enough? Do we need two? Please help.
Jun 7th, 2005, 06:59 PM

You have to ask yourself how susceptable to sunburn you are, how much you are out in the sun now, how much more of yourself you intend to expose than you normally do, and how sun resistant your clothing is. Also, are the vehicles totally open, or are they pop-tops, which provide a lot of shade. On our safari we all tended to wear hats, light weight long sleeved shirts with good SPF, long pants, and we were in a pop-top vehicle for 15 days. We also came from Riyadh Saudi Arabia, Alice Springs Australia, and Reno Nevada, so we were used to sun. I think the four of us brought 8 tubes of sunscreen and left 6 behind. If you are sensitive to sun, live in Seattle, are going to wear T-shirts and cutoffs, and ride in a totally open vehicle, you better pack a case of sunscreen!

In any case, I'd bring more than 1 tube, because of accidental spillage if for no other reason. I would also recommend putting the sunscreen inside a sealed Ziplock type bag, and putting that bag inside another. Believe me, you will be glad for the double bagging if the tube ruptures.

Remember, you will acquire things you want to bring home, but you can always throw away/leave on a camp desk/give to your guide things you no longer need like sunscreen/insect repellent/batteries (or all your spare clothes if you really get into African items!)
Jun 9th, 2005, 03:27 PM

mpkp:

Don't know where you are planning on being on your safari so I can only relate my experience in Kenya.

I burn the first day there. I am an extremely fair person. Most of the lodges carry sun screen and Nivea After Sun in their gifts shops. I get the Nivea After Sun which cools the burn. After that first day I haven't needed to worry about burning. Am usually in a pop-top vehicle but then out and about the rest of the time. I never wear a hat anymore, wear shorts and sleeveless blouse all day.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. You can indeed get sun screen there if needed.

Jan

Search this Thread