sun city south africa

Aug 10th, 2002, 11:10 PM
bean

sun city south africa

does anyone know about sun city and the palace of the lost city resort?
if we go here will we also have to book a secondary place to stay to go on game drives (safari)? and is the pilanesburg park good?
thanks!

Aug 11th, 2002, 10:45 AM
Celia

The last time I was there (about 1994 or '95), you could book game drives into the Pilanesburg reserve from the Sun City complex; you don't need to stay somewhere else.

But personally I would advise enjoying Sun City for what it is: a luxurious and almost fantasy Las Vegas. Then go somewhere else for your safari. Although Pilanesburg has wonderful bird life, and some elands and lots of antelope, Sun City is not a safari experience at all.

Aug 14th, 2002, 01:03 AM
Selwyn Davidowitz

Hello Bean,

In my opinion Celia's advice to you is excellent. I just want to add a point or two.

Make Sun City your first stop when arriving in SA purely to chill out. Two days would be fine to do this. Book into the Cascades and NOT the Palace as the Cascades is a better option position wise as well as price wise at the complex. Fair warning: The complex is a mini mini Las Vegas and offers plasticky type entertainment however as a place to relax it comes out top class.

Once again I have to reiterate what Celia says when she advised that you do the Pilanesburg game drive but DONT make it your main safari for your visit to our wonderful land.

Travel well.

Selwyn Davidowitz

Aug 14th, 2002, 09:21 AM
Juliet

The Palace of the Lost City is very expensive - but it is worth every penny. You would struggle to have a more luxurious and relaxing holiday anywhere else in the world! The Sun City complex spans a very large area, and as the Lost City is on the one end, it might not appear to be the best located of the 4 hotels - but unless you are a keen gambler, I honestly can't think of any reason why you would want to leave the Palace area! And even if you do want to spend some time at other parts of the complex, there is a free shuttle bus that will have you anywhere in the complex within 10 minutes. I had previously stayed in the Cabannas, Main Hotel and Cascades, but splashed out and stayed at the Palace for our honeymoon in Jan this year - it was a first class experience and I can't recommend it enough! Re your safari requirements - the hotel staff will organise everything for you. Enjoy!

Search this Thread