Sun City Hotels

Feb 10th, 2004, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Sun City Hotels

Does anyone know of discounts or deals on Sun City hotels? We'll be going at the beginning of April. I was under the impression that South-African hotels would be relatively cheap given the exchange rate, but looking at sun-city, prices seem as high, or higher than New York or London.

Also, which hotel would you reccomend staying at?
Feb 11th, 2004, 05:12 AM

I can only offer a recommendation against staying in the Cabanas in Sun City. We stayed there last July for one night and thought it was way too expensive. The rooms were not very clean and the food was poor to mediocre at best.
Feb 11th, 2004, 05:39 AM
sandi

The only place to stay at Sun City would be The Palace. Very expensive.

Your impression that SA hotels would be relatively cheap is wrong. The exchange rate it lousy. During '01 and a third thru '02 the rate was USD$1=between 10-13.5SAR. Not so thru '03 to current. The rate is USD$1-6.8SAR, but does move a bit higher to 7SAR. So prices have increased a good 20-25%.

Also to note, information from friends living in SA, overall cost-of-living is increasing for everyday living.

So unless you find a special deal, which is unlikely - you can have a Las Vegas week-end (3-4 days) including air, transfers, hotels for two, for less than what you'd spend at Sun City for 2-days.

Feb 11th, 2004, 12:27 PM

I second the review of the Cabanas. We've stayed in the Cascades (really nice), the Palace (so fabulous it's hard to believe) and the Cabanas (boring; like a roadside motel).

I think that medium-price hotels used to be a great bargain in SA, but 5-star ones never have been. Now the medium-price ones are charging closer to what American mid-price ones charge.

Search this Thread