Summer trip, Apartment in Johannesburg

Mar 23rd, 2003, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Summer trip, Apartment in Johannesburg

I am a university student from the U.S. hoping to be in Johannesburg for about three weeks doing research. I am looking for an affordable place to stay in the city in late June or early July.

I will be on my own, so I would love to be somewhere where I will meet other people of my own age to spend evenings with and possibly to explore more of the country. It would also be helpful to be near Wits University where I will be doing research.

I'm considering trying to arrange an extended stay in a hostel, but don't know which one or if that would be the best value. I'd also appreciate any suggestions for what I should do with the rest of my time in SA, as I may stay up to 5 weeks longer.

Thanks,
Seth
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:57 AM

Seth,

South Africa is a wonderful country, but it is also a place that can be very dangerous to your health. I assume you have been in contact with Wits University about student housing. Otherwise, try www.getawaytoafrica.com
for some selected B&B type housing. Without wheels it is difficult to get around in Johannesburg and you should never walk around in the city after dark by yourself. I don't recommend what it appears you are trying to do, which is go to Johannesburg on the cheap and hope it all turn out okay.

The people that you will be doing your research with should be the best people to give you advise.

Search this Thread