Egypt in March?

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 06:01 PM
Melina

Egypt in March?

Is it still considered high season with crowded sites and prices up? Even with the war talk? <BR><BR><BR>Melina

Old Mar 5th, 2003, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
malina,<BR><BR>i booked a ticket to egypt march 18th!!!<BR>hoping the trip will not be canceld becasue of all this was talk.. i wll let you know how crowded the sites are when i get back <BR><BR>reena
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 02:47 PM

<BR>Melina,<BR>In normal circumstances March is surely to be considered high season because of the very pleasant temperatures. We've done a Nile cruise in March some years ago and the sites were really very crowded, so our tour guide's aim was to be at the sites very early in the morning.<BR><BR>Reena,<BR>Curious to know how this potential war will affect tourism in Egypt.
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 04:57 AM

I am flying there next week. Hotels seem to be great value - e.g Meridien Pyramids $80 per night, same with lots of other hotels. So cannot imagine it being overly busy with such prices. Hurghada I was told was running at 40-50% occupancy at this moment in time.
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 08:37 AM

Reena,<BR> Just curious how your trip went. Did you go? Thanks in advance for any info.
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 11:47 AM

Sites were not crowded - of westerners, Italians were the most commonly encountered in their usual large tourist groups. SOme Russian groups as well. Alot of local school kids out on the Friday (1st day of weekend) and other Arab tourists. Only had one twit in the Khan el Khalili markets on the nationality front. Lots of police out after riots near the US and UK embassy after protests got out of hand. But even after that did not feel threatened -although you did feel that you were being looked at more than in previous visits. Generally great deals to be had there - devaluation of Egyptian pound in past 3 months has cut costs for tourists by about 30% - especially great kids clothes. Shop keepers just coming out with &quot;business is terrible, we give big discounts&quot; all the time. If you were thinking about it, go now for good deals.
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 06:39 PM

Thanks Nick,<BR> Trying to decide where to go. Had planned on Costa Rica, but Egypt has always been a dream. I've been checking the airfares and hotels and stuff and it seems like a great deal now, that previously may have been out of my price range before, just like Europe. I just got back from Paris and Amsterdam and it cost less (airfare wise) than the trip I have scheduled for PV Mexico in May. That's what got me considering Egypt. Thanks for all the info.
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 03:46 AM

No problem, if you want more specific info, email me on [email protected]. Can give you more specific shop details etc if you do go.
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 08:37 AM

Thanks Nick....I just sent you an email.