Suggestions on a tour company

Old Apr 28th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions on a tour company

Help! I'm trying to plan a safari this fall to Bostwana. I'm interested in photography, but am still a novice. Any suggestions on a tour company? I prefer small groups, and it doesn't have to be luxe. Would appreciate recommendations and honest feedback from trips with no so great companies. Thanks
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 05:46 PM

Wilderness Safaris has the most camps in Botswana, and some of the best. You can't book directly with them, however. You'll need to go through a safari company such as David Anderson Safaris ([email protected]). Botswana is an expensive destination, but it's one of my favorite places in Africa. If you find that the prices are too high, you might consider one of Wilderness Safaris' Explorations trips. Look at their website at www.wilderness-safaris.com.

When were you planning to go in the Fall? I think September would be nice, but October is known as the "suicide month" because it's so hot.
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

I will check those out. Thanks. I was hoping to go at the end of November into December. I have been to Tanzania, Rwanda, S Africa and Zimbabwe, but was hoping to go to Botswana and/or Namibia. I haven't looked into the weather yet -- was more focused on the destination. I've narrowed this fall's trip to Botswana, Bhutan or China. Thoughts?
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 04:52 AM
sandi

End November into December is hot, very humid and often rainy in Botswana.

Old Apr 30th, 2006, 08:00 PM

We're booked in September on an OAT tour to Tanzania. Does anyone have safari experience with OATS? Or have been there in September? What to bring? Thanks a million for replies. I am new to this list so may have posted my question in wrong place. Could you kindly correct my mistake, if so. Bev
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 10:17 PM

LisaNittany,

I strongly suggest that you speak to Roccco or Jasher (Julian) at Destiny Africa. Their website is still being written so my suggestion would be that you write to them at [email protected] (why the writing of an email address on Fodors comes up twice I simply dont know #39;( ). Once you have made contact I can assure you they will respond to your call especially if you tell them that you heard about them on the Fodors board

If you have been a regular Fodorite over the past years you certainly will have seen many posts (hundreds) from Roccco or Jasher who have and still do give selflessly to this travel board so as to help fellow travellers. My suggestion is that you simply run a Fodors search on the name Roccco or Jasher and believe me you will soon find out why I am suggesting that you use their combined experience to help you. Rest assured you will NOT find any better advice for your safari needs as their knowledge of the Africa safari regions are not based on books and brochures; they have been to all the places thay speak of and have first hand info to pass on in all they advise. Personally I think this is the most important attribute that a tour operator should have and yet so many fail in this regard. Furthermore both Roccco and Jasher are very free and giving in the help that they provide which is not dependant on your having to formally use their services. You simply wont go wrong with these two Fodorites and I recommend their services highly.

Personally I have over the years had my own little spat with Roccco on this board in particular about the Apostles Hotel in Cape Town. In this regard we have agreed to the fact that we have our own opinions and to respect each other accordingly. With that said I still feel that both Roccco and Jasher have an excellent knowledge of my city however your request is for someone to help you with safari planning and I feel that you will obtain no better advice and help anywhere equivalent to what these two Fodorites can pass on to you.

Hope this helps you in your safari planning.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa

Old Apr 30th, 2006, 10:33 PM

Thats funny in my preview to the above mail the email address was shown twice yet in the actual mail it only came up once. Computer ghosts at work methinks.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa