Search

Suggestions for Kenya safari company?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2022, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions for Kenya safari company?

Hi folks,

I am researching this thread for ideas of travel companies that can arrange a Kenya trip for a family of four next Christmastime. My wife and I did an amazing 18-day Kenya/Tanzania trip in 1998 with a mid-priced company called Big Five, located out of Nairobi and somewhere in Florida, that friends had recommended. They did a great job, because although it was quite an expensive trip even then, it involved staying in many of the same luxury camps as Abercrombie & Kent, but at a much lower price. And the guides, food and overall organization by Big Five was first-rate. Unfortunately, they are no longer in business.

So I'd appreciate recommendations of companies that can arrange a tour of maybe 7-10 days in places we stayed like Little Governors camp, Treetops/The Ark, Mt Kenya Safari Club, etc. Or, whether we should explore companies like Gamewatchers that focus on private conservancies as a way to avoid big crowds in the famous parks like Amboseli - if that can be done on my budget. I don't recall overcrowding being an issue on our January 1998 trip, but a lot may have changed in the past two decades in Kenya. Thanks for any ideas!
Old Dec 27th, 2022, 01:30 PM

We recently did a safari in Kenya with The Wild Source and were very happy with our trip. I have also heard good things about Gamewatchers.
Old Dec 27th, 2022, 03:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I just booked a very spur of the moment (for me) safari for February with Expert Africa. Richard Trillo there is the Kenya expert, he’s literally written a book on Kenya. He was a dream to work with and put together an amazing itinerary for me on comparatively short notice.

Any of the companies mentioned in this thread so far (Wild Source, Gamewatchers, Expert Africa) can book camps in conservancies. No one safari planner corners the market there. I recommend conservancies mainly for supporting the cause and for the exclusivity and lighter traffic you’ll find there. All of my camps this time are in conservancies.
Old Dec 28th, 2022, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by amyb
I just booked a very spur of the moment (for me) safari for February with Expert Africa. Richard Trillo there is the Kenya expert, he’s literally written a book on Kenya. He was a dream to work with and put together an amazing itinerary for me on comparatively short notice.

Any of the companies mentioned in this thread so far (Wild Source, Gamewatchers, Expert Africa) can book camps in conservancies. No one safari planner corners the market there. I recommend conservancies mainly for supporting the cause and for the exclusivity and lighter traffic you’ll find there. All of my camps this time are in conservancies.
Thanks, amyb, we'll look into those. Really enjoyed your trip report and photos from your Rwanda trip a few years ago!
Old Dec 28th, 2022, 10:01 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ClarkB
Thanks, amyb, we'll look into those. Really enjoyed your trip report and photos from your Rwanda trip a few years ago!
Thank you ClarkB. If you want more help or if you want to run ideas by me, feel free to PM me and we can email. Happy to help anyone make their way back to Kenya! ;-)