Suggestions for Itinerary for Family Vacation

Feb 21st, 2004, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Suggestions for Itinerary for Family Vacation

My family and I are considering going to Africa for 16 days or so this December over the Xmas holidays. We have just started reading the posts in this forum and have already gotten some good leads. We have checked out Classic Africa and other companies, but are wondering about others suggestions for where to visit while there. We are very flexible on routing and are definitely interested in an active holiday with the end hopefully being on a beach resort. We have two boys who will be almost 12 and 13. Thanks in advance.

I originally posted this in the general interest area - thought it would be better here.
Feb 24th, 2004, 02:27 AM
NnN

Africa is so huge and diverse, it really depends what kind of a holiday you're looking for. If its safari-like, then Kenya tops, maybe followed by Zambia/ South Africa. If its beaches, well you have plenty to choose from. The most popular for a family with children would be Sharm/Hurghada in Egypt as others in the continent tend to be a little honey-mooney. If its historical, Egypt tops the list, followed by Morocco. I've been to plenty of places in Africa and they all have different flavors to them.
Feb 24th, 2004, 07:42 AM

hey Kirby - NnN is right - you have to tell us why you picked Africa.

We were in Namibia in Aug 2002 and the family we were staying with was planning a December camping trip to the beach in Namibia.

I went on a photo safari in Aug 2003 to South Africa and Botswana.

Greybeard just posted a trip report from Marrakech.

There are trip reports about and trips being planned to Egypt.

My next trip will have to be to Kenya or Tanzania for another photo safari.

Tell us more about what you want to do in Africa - to see the dunes in Namibia or pyramids in Egypt or safaris/game drives.

Once you narrow down what part of the continent you want to visit it will be easier and everyone will put in their 2cents.
Mar 20th, 2004, 08:21 PM

I've got boys about the same ages as yours. A little more info on what you want to do would be helpful. We know Egypt quite well and have also done a safari in Tanzania/Kenya and vacationed in Cape Town and the SA wine country.

South Africa is a long way - but you can do a lot - from sightseeing to wine to safaris to beaches. Don't be put off on the wine country with kids. We only spent 2 days there because we didn't think there would be enough to do - but once we got there we wished we could stay longer. Horseback riding, fishing, hiking, etc is available in a lot of areas.

Also - keep in mind that Egypt can be quite cool in December - not a great time to do the Red Sea beaches. But it's a nice time to see the other things - pyramids, Sphynx, Valley of the Kings/Queens, Luxor and Karnak temples, etc.

Kenya and Tanzania were absolutely fantastic - but are best kept for a long (8+ day) safaris because of the distances you travel to see all the gameparks.

Search this Thread