Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Suggestions for Dubai - First Year Anniverdary Trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/suggestions-for-dubai-first-year-anniverdary-trip-934141/)

Prater May 5th, 2012 07:59 PM

Suggestions for Dubai - First Year Anniverdary Trip

I am looking into Dubai for our first year anniversary trip. We will be vacationing in mid November, leaving from BWI or JFK.

1. Any suggestions on Hotel (wife loves the beach but I also want to see the city)? I was thinking of splitting the trip - half on the beach and halp the time in the city.... Thought???

2. Any suggestions on Sights to see and what may be available in November?

3. Any suggestions on the Palms?

4. What about reasonable shopping? Not Gucci, Chanel etc. More indigenous shops, local labels, etc?

5. Also need a nice restaurant for one or commemorative anniversary dinner and other restaurant suggestions.

Thanks in advance for all of the help...

Cc08 May 6th, 2012 05:25 AM

Hiii... There is a famous market, called Souk Naif, in Deira. It is the oldest market in Dubai. It is the typical arab market. You can find everything there, all kind of hand-made articles, etc.
About activities>
Dubai Mall, with the Snow park.
Aquarium
Dolphin Show
Wonder bus
Desert Safari
Dinner Cruise
Desert with Belly dance

About a restaurant, you can have a dinner in Burj El Arab hotel restaurant. It is wonderful...

About a hotel, I dont know which category u would like. There is one 3*, located near the beach and in the center of the city. it is called Cassel El Barsha. U can check it..
But i think u would like something better... there are many of them... try to search one which be located near the metro, to can move easily...

Approach_Guides May 6th, 2012 10:58 AM

The XVA Art Hotel is a great hotel -- it's located in a historic district and is super charming: http://www.xvagallery.com/hotel/
Happy anniversary! Have a great trip :-)

ss1111 May 6th, 2012 12:18 PM

Hi, here are my suggestions related to your questions about your upcoming trip to Dubai:

1) I don't think you need to split your stay between a beach + city hotel, sinnce your wife loves the beach I'd go for one of the beach hotels..there are many. I personally like the One and Only Royal Mirage and the Al Qasr at the Madina Jumeirah. The architecture of both is very Middle Eastern which I think you will enjoy. Other beach hotels to consider are the Hilton Jumeirah Beach, the Ritz Carlton.

2) Sights to see: Explore the souk in Deira (Gold + Spice Souk) and also don't miss out on the wonderful Bastakiya District in Bur Dubai, as well as the Textile Souk and a walk along the Creek (Bur Dubai Side), Take an abra (watertaxi) from Bur Dubai to Deira or vice versa or hire one to take you up and down the creek, for nnew Dubai go see the DIFC area (Dubai Financial Center Area with Emirates Towers), Burj Khalifa + Downtown Dubai with Dubai Mall, drive up the Palm Jumeirah to the Atlantis Hotel, take a walk along The Walk at Jumeirah Beach Residences and Dubai Marina

3) The Palms: there really is only one Palm Island worth visiting, as previously mentioned you could just drive up to the Atlantis Hotel, that way you'll see it all. Another alternative to see the Palm from the water, would be to for example have Lunch at the Royal Mirage and then ask/arrange at the hotel for you to be taken by watertaxi to the One + Only Resort on the Palm for Afternoon Tea or Drinks, the hotel does the transfer free of charge

4) For local designers check out a store called Sauce (you can also find them online), Khaadi (not local, but beautiful Pakistani Designs...walking through the malls you'll find little boutiques that sell/carry local lables

5) Restaurants: Shimmers or Pier Chic @ the Madniat Jumeirah would make nice venues for your annniversary dinner, other restaurants that serve Middle Eastern Food that are great are: The Courtyard @ Manzil Hotel (Old Town),l Al Hallab (Dubai Mall, request outdoor-terrace seating, to see the fountain + burj Khalifa), India Palace (Garhoud for amazing Indian food), Zuma at DIFC (great Japanese Restaurant with trendy Bar), Tagine at One and Only Royal Mirage (Moroccan), the Souk Madinat Jumeirah has lots of different restaurants and bars as well and the setting is nice

6) I would rent a car for the duration of your stay, it gives you the flexibility to go around town hassle free...rental rates are pretty cheap (you can find great rates on the emirates.com website for example) and everywhere you'll want to go either has valet parking or public parking

7) Besides exploring the city of Dubai, and depending on how many days you'll spend there maybe you could include the following in your itinerary:

- a desert safari with camel ride, belly dance, etc (usually leaves in the afternoon and returns the same evening)

- drive out to the Bab al Shams Resort for Sunset + drinks in the desert (they have a wonderful rooftop bar/restaurant)

- Visit the neighboring city of Sharjah

- Take a day trip to Abu Dhabi (140km from Dubai) to visit the great Mosque, Emirates Palace Hotel, etc

Enjoy your trip :)

Prater May 17th, 2012 01:43 PM

Thanks for the great suggestions....

littlejane Jul 31st, 2012 04:04 AM

bookmarking

Asha_M15 Feb 22nd, 2016 06:30 PM

In Dubai, Palm was the ultimate place for me. Just came back from a 2 week trip and willing to go back. Plenty of food options too. Manefrom high end restaurants are at Palm, you can try Wagamama at palm ( about 150 AED for 2) which offers fusion japanese. We liked it as it was within out budget and good options with fresh health drinks.