SUGGESTIONS FOR BIRTHDAY TRIP?

May 16th, 2000, 01:04 PM
TOM WARD

SUGGESTIONS FOR BIRTHDAY TRIP?

Message: IN 2001 I AM PLANNING A 2 1/2 WEEK VACATION DURING THE YEAR OF MY 50th BIRTHDAY. I AM LOOKING FOR TRAVEL SUGGESTIONS. I LIVE IN THE U.S. (DETROIT) AND AM PLANNING AN INTERNATIONAL TRIP. WHILE I AM NOT WEALTHY, I HAVE SAVED A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT FOR THIS TRIP. I AM LOOKING FOR SPECTACULAR SCENERY AND/OR HISTORY. WHILE I REALIZE THERE IS NOPLACE THAT IS UNTOUCHED BY TOURISTS I AM LOOKING FOR SOMETHING BEYOND THE USUAL ALASKA, HAWAII, MEXICO OR CRUISE TRIP. SOME OF THE LOCATIONS I HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT ARE: NORWAY, EGYPT, NEW ZEALAND, PERU/EQUADOR OR ARGENTINA. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS?

May 16th, 2000, 01:11 PM
Perry & Karen

We loved Egypt. Spent two weeks seeing the great historical sites. You're right in not being about to avoid tourist; however, we went slightly off season (April) and the crowds were minimum...never had to wait in a line to see something. I'ts a little hotter, but worth it to avoid crowds, at least to us.
Not on your list, but we also thoroughly enjoyed China.
Good luck and Happy Birthday!

May 16th, 2000, 02:42 PM
Susan

I'm turning 50 in 2001 also. Taking a trip to celebrate is a great idea. We're going to Greece and Turkey this year (2 weeks on the Greek islands and a week along the Turkish Mediterranean). The more I read about Turkey, the more excited I get. It looks like an amazing country, with beaches, ruins, history, culture, almost whatever you would like. Maybe you could pick up a book from the library and do some research. (I ended up buying Lonely Planet because I'm sure we'll go back in a year or 2, maybe for my 50th!)

You discount Mexico, but have you been to the interior? I love the interior - Mexico City, the colonial towns north (San Miguel, Guanajuato, etc.) as well as some of the towns further south, such as Oaxaca. With only 2 1/2 weeks, you have to be aware of time and money. We're flying to Greece from Toronto, and the airfare is more than twice what we'd pay to go to Mexico. Plus it's a long flight.

Whatever you decide, have fun!

Search this Thread