Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Suggestions for bincos: Needed? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/suggestions-for-bincos-needed-751148/)

HariS Nov 29th, 2007 07:16 PM

Suggestions for bincos: Needed?

Hi! Looking to get myself a new pair of binocs ....

Any suggestions amongst current models or whatever? main purpose will be for birding and for future safaris in India where there is no off-roading.

No real night vision requirement or whatever ......

Thanks
Hari

safarimama Nov 29th, 2007 07:24 PM

Me too, I left my Nikon Monarchs 10X42 with one of my favorite guides in Tanzania. He really needed them more than me. I'm thinking of getting the Nikon Monarch's 12X56. Any comments?

sevendown Nov 29th, 2007 08:16 PM

For safaris, I always like the widest field of view possible. The Nikon Action 7x35 has one of the widest views out there at 489 feet. They consistently get high ratings for quality as well. Plus they are inexpensive - $59.99 at Eagle Optics, which has a 30 day no questions return policy.

Another really great option is the Bushnell Permafocus 7x35. They are permanently in focus, which is great for scanning the horizon and watching moving action. Plus, their field of view is huge (578 feet). They are also very reasonable -- $49 at Eagle Optics.

You can spend hundreds more for slightly improved optics, but I'm not sure it is worth it.

For birding, you may want to sacrifice some field of view for greater magnification. I have purchased from Eagle Optics and have been happy with their service. They carry about everything out there and are very reasonable price wise. Check them out here: www.eagleoptics.com.

aby Nov 29th, 2007 09:13 PM

Hi Hari

for birding the answer is easy:
Leitz or Zeiss 10X40

of course for Safari they will also be the best

aby

P.S. remember that for Cheetah individual identification one needs to look carefully at the facial dots esp' around the whiskers - those two will do the job better than the others

amolkarnik Nov 29th, 2007 11:43 PM

Hari - You wont go very wrong with Leica/Zeiss or Swarovski. Perhaps a 8/10*42? There is a great deal of choice there, so its really down to what you want to spend. I have seena pair of Leica 10*42, but pricey at £1350.

lbodem Nov 30th, 2007 03:13 AM

I love my Canon 10x30 Image Stabilized binocs. They have great reviews. They are a comfortable size to hold and carry and the image stabilization really works. You can get them online for less than $350.

Khakif Nov 30th, 2007 03:41 AM

HariS

I've enjoyed my Zeiss ClassiC 10x40 for years now. DH has Leitz 8x40. His are lighter and therefore more functional for constant use. On the other hand, the professional guides say I'm a great spotter-personal record is 16 leopard in Serengeti in one day. Is that luck, hard work or just great equipment? Probably all the above.

Let us know your final choice.

HariS Nov 30th, 2007 04:21 AM

Hi! Thanks for all your advice. Let me do some searching around for all these suggested models and revert with questions, if any.

Yes, will keep you posted re final choice

Rgds
Hari

HariS Nov 30th, 2007 04:31 AM

Aby,

Thanks for the cheetah advice, too...

Hari

sonali74 Nov 30th, 2007 04:59 AM

Khakif,

WOW 16 leopards in one day !!!!
Pls write your trip report for that day...

Hari, in India where do u purchase good bino's or u purchase them abroad !!!!

I need a good pair myself, but with night vision....let me know

Sonali

tuckeg Dec 1st, 2007 07:50 AM

Hari,

I would strongly suggest you test a pair of image stabilized binos. They may not be for you, but at least give them a test at the same time you also try a quality pair of unstabilized binos of similar field of view and power. I find that the average safari goer will prefer the image stabilized pair.

Tuckeg

Khakif Dec 1st, 2007 09:35 AM

Sorry, Sonali, I mis-wrote. It should have read 16 leopards in one safari (not one day), eight of them in one day. Glad I revisited this post today to make the correction.

Location Moru Kopjes, Serengeti, Tanzania
Timing: Early June, 1984

Awakened early one morning by that familiar sound (like someone trying to start an outboard motor). Sat up in bed, peered out my open tent window in time to witness a leopard crossing between tents

Departing camp that morning we spotted another leopard flattened close to the ground. Suddenly it bolted to a nearby kopje. We obviously caught him out in the open between kopjes and he was not happy.

Spotted leopard in a small tree in Serengeti plains. Clue? A lonely shade tree with no animals underneath, although there was a herd of wildebeest nearby. Close examination revealed a leopard in the canopy.

Mbalageti area we saw two leopards (Mom and cub) in separate trees next to each other. Mother came down tree instantly; cub sat up and watched us with great interest. We figured we were the first tourist the cub had ever seen and she was amused.

Further along Mgalageti, spotted two leopards (one eating another leopard).

Approaching Moru kopjes, just at the edge of some high grass another leopard ¡V only her head and neck was visible. Magnificent photo op, backlit from the sun¡¦s golden rays framing that powerful, familiar silhouette.

Note: During our next two safaris, we did not see a single leopard.

sonali74 Dec 1st, 2007 09:47 AM

Wow Khakif, wonderful leopard sightings and that too way back in 1984,

Can you give us an insight regarding the wildlife and the accomodation(lodges)/ camps you stayed in 1984 at serengeti compared to the scenario today

would be very interested in knowing

Sonali

safarichuck Dec 1st, 2007 09:50 AM

Hari,
I agree with Tuckeg and the others who favor the image stabilized binos. I have sveral of the others mentioned above but only take my stabilized on safari.
Regards-Chuck

Khakif Dec 1st, 2007 05:00 PM

Sonali,

Upon arrival and departure from Arusha we stayed at Ngare Sero in cottages outside the main house. Enjoyed private, mobile camping safaris lasting about three weeks.

At Ngorongoro Crater we camped at the hippo pond (just to the left under the trees). It is now a favorite picnic spot for lunch stop. Off-road driving was permitted then (I don't think they had roads back then-maybe just a couple of main paths). I don't remember any lodges on the rim at that time.

Usually an overnight at Gibbs Farm while the crew set-up camp at Moru Kopjes.

We camped along the river in Tarangire and at that time one could enjoy off-road driving thoughout. It was especially nice to tour the southern part of the park. I think there was a permanent tented camp up on the bluff overlooking the river.

From Tarangire, we would drive back to Arusha.

I don't think there were direct flights into TZ, so we flew into Nairobi and hired private charter to JRO.

One distinct difference is we hardly ever saw another vechile for the entire safari - maybe a handful in the Crater, but not the traffic seen today.

People were just as warm and friendly as they are now.

You could not buy very much back then, so we packed for ALL provisions. TZ lacked an infrastructure then; Kenya was more well travelled.

KhakiF

sonali74 Dec 1st, 2007 05:07 PM

Hello khakif,

thanks for sharing, which areas did you stay in the serengeti(wow three weeks of camping), could u give us a brief trip report(sorry I know it's years) of all the lions other cats and animals you saw, compared to the sightings today

Sonali