Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Kavey's Botswana and Namibia 2004 itinerary (I just can't wait any longer!)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 04:32 AM
Kavey

I know I said I wouldn't post till it was all booked and confirmed and written in stone... But I just can't wait any longer... and it's only tiny details we're ironing out now - so I am posting!! <BR><BR>(I've selected the agency we're booking with, based on both correspondance and quotes, and have let the other agents involved in advice/ quotes know - and you know what? We didn't end up going with the very cheapest quote!).<BR><BR>The trip in June 2004 is currently as follows:<BR><BR> London to Jo'burg to Maun<BR>3 nights Savuti Camp<BR> charter flight transfer<BR>1 night Gudigwa<BR> charter flight transfer<BR>2 nights Tubu Tree<BR> boat transfer to Jacana<BR>2/3 nights Jacana<BR> charter flight transfer<BR>4 nights Little Mombo<BR> charter flight transfer<BR>4 nights Jack's Camp<BR> charter flight transfer to Maun<BR> Maun to Windhoek<BR>1 night Hilltop Hotel, Windhoek<BR> charter flight transfer<BR>3 nights at Wolwedans Dune Lodge (where we are currently working on arranging a ceremony to renew our wedding vows)<BR> charter flight transfer to Windhoek<BR> Windhoek to Jo'burg to London<BR><BR><BR><BR>I'd like to say thanks to Bert for his input on camps and itinerary.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 06:33 AM
Lisa waverley

Sounds like a great itinerary, Kavey. What a great trip you have planned. I have never done any of the camps you are doing so I will look forward to reading your reports for future consideration. I have just booked a quick trip to SA for a family function in March, and for the first time in a long time, am not doing any safaris. Just Cape Town and Jo'burg. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to get out my photos of past trips for that safari fix.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 08:21 AM
kavey

Lisa<BR>Will you consider putting them online?<BR>I'd love to share photos with other Africaphiles!<BR>And it will be a long long time before I can share feedback on these camps - 18 months - but I will definitely do so, I promise!<BR>Kavey

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 01:03 PM
RnR

Kavey, I do love your plan - I will be there three months after you, so tell me all about Savuti Camp - and check out Mombo for me while you're at Little Mombo. I've asked for #9 again, just a short walk from where you'll enjoy wine after the drives. I am thrilled for you!!!!

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 03:15 AM
kavey

RnR<BR>Thanks for sharing my excitment!<BR>I can't wait and it's such a long time away!<BR>Will definitely feed back on here on all our camps and experiences.<BR>The only two camps we're returning to on this trip are Little Mombo and Wolwedans Dune Lodge - and we're very excited about both. <BR>Savuti, Tubu Tree, Jacana, Gudigwa and Jack's are all new for us.<BR<BR>Kavey

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 08:00 AM
Michael

Savuti is a wonderful, small camp, which I was last at in August 2001. See if you can secure the room furthest from the central building -- it is isolated and has an open bathroom, from the shower I watched a passing elephant!

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 02:35 PM
Liz Frazier

Hi Kavey-<BR>So you finally got it done! I know the relief you must feel now. Quite a trip! Since you are so detail oriented I will be anxious to read your after trip report on a couple of the camps. <BR>Our trip is almost here (finally) and just waiting one year was a lot. I don't think I'll ever plan that far ahead again. Just too much time to question things. Good luck. Liz.<BR>P.S. I'd have posted sooner but I have had a terrible bug and have been down for over a week now.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 12:42 AM
kavey

Dear Michael<BR>Regarding Savuti thanks for your input. Because I know I will need to use the bathroom during the night I have requested one of the tents with an interior bathroom - still open roofed, rather than one of the outdoor ones. WS came back and offered me the one with a bathtub - this is basically a second honeymoon - so I am trying to find out more about safety of using bathroom during night.<BR><BR>Liz so sorry to hear you've been ill. Just pleased it's now and not just before the trip itself I guesss. The thing is 18 months is so long to wait but the only way to secure just what we want... there are already a lot of dates block booked out at the camps above...<BR><BR>Kavey

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 09:57 AM
SG

Hi Kavey. I share your enthusiasm and it has the makings of a great trip. How exciting! Hope you have fun planning it.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 12:53 PM
kavey

Got news back from my agent that the Wolwedans Dune Lodge Manager, Hermann, and the lady who was our guide and friend when we stayed, Louise, who I believe is Administration Manager, are happy to take part in a (non-official) ceremony to renew our vows. Because we're already married and this is just a renewal there won't be any paperwork and we aren't going to bother with flowers and cake and stuff - just a simple ceremony, exchange of new rings (originals too small and one now lost) surrounded by the beauty of the desert.<BR><BR>It's soooo long away but I am soooo excited...<BR><BR>Thanks for sharing...<BR><BR>Kavey

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 12:59 PM
Michael

I was also quite nervous about venturing outdoors to use the bathroom during the night, but I was assured it was safe, and in fact it was, but still, I understand your safety concerns. There is something to be said, however, for standing naked in a shower while watching a passing elephant -- there likely are not many places on earth where you can have that experience! No matter which room at Savuti you'll have a great time -- I have been many times to Africa and Savuti is the only place I have seen a caracal and an aardwolf (both quite rare), plus I saw a wild dog chase a bat-eared fox into a den.<BR><BR>I'm not sure where Hilltop Hotel is in Windhoek (I stayed at Heinitzburg Castle), but I can make two restaurant recommendations (but, Windhoek being small, I'm sure these are in every guidebook): Joes Beer House (for a fun evening with great, cheap steaks) or Gundethmans (I'm sure I butchered that spelling, but its right on the main street in downtown Windhoek and has a very nice veranda from which you can dine).

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 02:40 PM
kavey

Thanks Michael!<BR><BR>Yes I understand your point about the outdoor showers - showering whilst looking out over Africa and her abundant wildlife is such a thrill - we had an outdoor shower at Little Mombo and at Chitabe Trails and they were lovely - though it was a little cool in June to use them in the mornings we did brave them occasionally!<BR><BR>Thanks for the restau recommendations for Windhoek - we're really stopping there because there is every chance the flight from Maun to Windhoek will be delayed and as it is it would be cutting it fine to catch the dunehopper down to Wolwedans so we're builing in this extra night... <BR><BR>I've been told souvenir shopping in Windhoek is particularly excellent!<BR><BRBR>

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 01:54 AM
Kavey

Booked, confirmed, deposit down!<BR><BR>Had to change things slightly - I wanted to go up to 3 nights in Jacana and as several camps had blocks of unavailable dates we had to rejiggle the order.<BR><BR>Final itinerary is:<BR><BR>Fly Heathrow-Jo’burg-Maun<BR>4 nights Little Mombo<BR>3 nights Savuti Camp<BR>1 night Gudigwa Camp<BR>2 nights Tubu Tree (boat transfer to next camp)<BR>3 nights Jacana Camp<BR>4 nights Jack's Camp<BR>Fly Maun-Windhoek<BR>1 night Hilltop House<BR>3 nights Wolwedans Dunes Lodge<BR>Fly Windhoek-Jo’burg-Heathrow<BR>