Suggestion for agents

Sep 30th, 2005, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Suggestion for agents

We are at the airport on leg 1 of our 3rd trip to Tanzania!

This board is wonderful and I will soon need plenty of ideas for our extended anniversary safari next year!

I don't have a problem with agents posting here as long as they don't promote their business, preferred establishments or ground operators. For example, Roy Safari continues to be promoted by contributors; some have been revealed as agents. I believe one is now employed by Roys and at least one use Roy as a ground operator.

Agents have insider knowledge that can be very helpful. They know which itineraries work better than others. They know which lodges/camps receive higher praise from clients. This insight is invaluable on this board and agents should be more than welcome to post here.

The line should be drawn at promoting or even mentioning ground operators unless the agent reveals the affiliation. A trip report should indicate if it was a fam trip arranged by an affiliate operator.

On CNBC, the Stock Brokers are free to promote stocks. In the end they must reveal whether they own the stock or not! It is very simple!

Is it time for the agents on this forum to reveal themselves? Then we can continue to openly share information.

Sep 30th, 2005, 02:06 PM
bat

janets1s:

I agree with you that professional insiders add valuable advice and should be welcome to post. Combining that perspective with those of "amateurs"--whether through the eyes of a first-timer or those of the seasoned travelor is great. I, too, would like to see professionals include a reference to business affiliations so that the reader has that information. For some readers, this relationship will be a plus, having had the opportunity to read posts and gauge the knowledge of the professional through them. Nor do I have any objection to professional posters picking up business that way.

But how would it work? Can they disclose business and business relationships without appearing to be promoting improperly those businesses? What if a poster said: "I recommend "X" land operator--BTW I refer my own clients to that operator." Would that pass Fodor policy? If so, then I think that let's the reader know the relationship and the reader can decide what they want to do with the information. The reader can decide for him/herself whether they think it poses a conflict of interest or whether they consider that endorsement to be a positive factor.

Other thoughts/suggestions?
Sep 30th, 2005, 02:14 PM
bat

janets1s:
My apology--I forgot to say have a great trip.

Search this Thread