Kenya or Egypt

Old Nov 11th, 2003, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kenya or Egypt

I am considering spending part of the coming holiday season in either Kenya or Egypt. I have never been to either and am having a difficult time deciding. Is there anyone out there that could provide me with some insight? I am excited about the possibility, but am also concerned about safety.
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 04:24 AM
sandi

You don't mention how much time you have for this holiday, but if you read the posts on this board you will find that while some have been hesitant due to "warnings" by respective governments - travelers have gone to both and have been pleased with their decisions. Safety is as safety is anywhere.

As to whether Kenya or Egypt, you can do both as many tour operators offer these two countries as a combination.

But either on their own will be a vacation well worth your time, interest, and oh, the excitement.

Old Nov 12th, 2003, 08:10 AM

Sandi has a good point. How much time you have might lend itself to an interesting solution--do both! (budget permitting). I have seen a travel company brochure with both destinations in one grand trip. Having been to both (okay, substitute Tanzania for Kenya) I know where my next return visit will be--East Africa- but that is me. We had a great time in Egypt and would like to return some time. But, we have a stronger afinity for wildlife and the variety/concentrations present in East Africa. So, it all depends on your interest. I don't think you can go wrong either way. The second choice then moves to the top for the next trip. Good Luck with the enjoyable choice! Dick
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Actually, I plan to be travelling for about 11-13 days. My budget only allows me to choose 1 place- either Egypt or Kenya. They are both very different and I just don't know enough about what there is to do to decide. Any more advice, given this new information -timing and budget- would be great.
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 07:24 PM
sandi

Where talking two different environments -

one has very old history, culture and very very big stone things and deep deep tombs;

the other is a different culture and some very very big animals which can leave very deep deep marks.

Why not check some guidebooks for each country and decide for yourself which would be of most interest to you.

I've visited both, loved both, and would/will return to both, but this is your vacation. What do you want out of "your" vacation?

Note: If you're considering Christmas time, this is hi-season in both countries, so likely higher prices.

Old Nov 14th, 2003, 03:17 PM

Just an opinion - I did both Egypt and Kenya in one trip, 2 weeks each country. Egypt had been a life long dream, as had been Kenya, although for different reasons. 8 years later, I have to say, if I had to pick one, it would be Kenya. Egypt was absolutely fascinating and a must for everyone in their lifetime, but the main sites of pyramids and tombs become a bit less impressive after seeing the first 4-5. Of course there are light shows, museums, etc., all worthwhile, but the landscapes in Kenya are breathtaking. The culture is fascinating in Kenya. You do not get a real cultural experience in Egypt. In Kenya there is a good variety. We went to Karen Blixen's house, we visited a tea planation for the day that has a jungle for walking on the property and had dinner with the owner. The giraffe museum is a must. The variety of flora and fauna on safari is amazing. After visiting half the countries in Europe and many in Africa, Kenya is truly the most memorable of all places I've been.
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 09:49 PM
Original Poster

I appreciate all of the feedback I received. We have decided on Kenya and I am very excited. If you have any other tips regarding Kenya- safari tips especially-I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
Old Nov 15th, 2003, 02:48 PM

I just returned from spending 2 weeks in Kenya and am glad to hear that you have decided to go. I purchased a package through South African Airways (SAA Holidays) and couldn't recommend it more highly. Kenya's tourism is suffering because of our governments travel warning which seems to be unfounded. There was never a moment that I didn't feel completely safe. Go and have the time of your life!
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 08:17 AM

Sandi's comments are spot on, but I cannot for the life me remotely comprehend world explorer's comment "you do not get a real cultural experience in Egypt" . Did you go with eyes closed and ear plugs? There is no comparison between Cairo and Nairobi and it is not in Nairobi's favour - but I would recommend the Stanley Hotel there for excellent service.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 09:04 AM
sandi

Travelnick -

Just goes to show why everyone has to pick their own destination for holiday - we're all different.

How anyone can say there is no cultural experience in Egypt, must have been someplace else. The sounds, crowds, sites and smells are overwhelming. And 5,000 years later we still have no idea exactly how the Pyramids were built! And while some might think that after 4-5 tombs they begin to look alike - no way! Just look at how the "glyphs" are written, you can tell the difference is personality of each carver - expressive, anal, depressed - it just jumps out at you. And colors that are as vivid today as the day they were placed in tombs (Queen Nefretari's specifically).

This takes nothing away from the culture of the Maasi or Samburu or even Kikiyu; the vast savannahs and the amazing flora and fauna; the warmth and friendliness of the people.

Different places for different people and if you have the money, you do them all, or just select the one that interests you the most.

Old Nov 17th, 2003, 12:09 AM

Okay, you have decided to go to Kenya, and I think you have made a good choice. Your next decision will have to be how you will divide your time there, and who to book your holiday with. You could have a combined safari and beach holiday, and many tour companies in both US and Europe specialize in just that thing.

You say the "coming holiday season", and if that means Christmas you had better get busy organizing visas, immunizations, and reservations. If you mean next summer, then you have time to do lots of research on the various game parks, coastal and island resorts, and finding the best deal.

As for safety, read your country's travel warnings. For the US it is: http://www.travel.state.gov/.
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 02:53 PM

Hello. Glad you have chosen Kenya. Though I have not been to Egypt and it is on my "places left to go" list.. Kenya took my breath away! The vistas of the Masai Mara.. the warmth of the Kenyan people not to mention seeing lions and leopards in the natural environment (as their wild populations diminish, NOW is the time to go) Frankly I don't think much could compare. We used Vintage Africa and 2afrika and were quite pleased with our trip. Small group, knowledgable guides, fantastic prices. Have a wonderful wonderful time!
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the responses. We have definitely decided with Kenya. I guess now its just a matter of how much time is sufficient for the safari so that we can also allocate some time to visit the beach area. Any advice?