Stone Town Restaurant Suggestions?

Old Sep 25th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stone Town Restaurant Suggestions?

I'll be in Stone Town for an overnight next week. I'm looking for resturant suggestions. We'll be staying at Beyt al Chai. Any thoughts?
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 12:07 PM

1) Across the street is The Serena, but expensive.

2) There's the Rooftop Restaurant at 236 Hurumzi (formerly Emerson & Green) with great views at sunset, meals served on low tables sitting on floor cushions... I wasn't terrible impressed by the meal (at set price), but it was lots of fun - reservations are required.

3) Africa House, overlooking the water also with good sunset views and understand better selection and quality of meals at reasonable prices.

There are plenty of others; the hotel can certainly offer suggestions.
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks sandi.
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 07:29 PM

I always enjoy the Monsoon Restaurant on the outside of the tunnel near Forodhani Gardens. They serve Swahili cuisine in the traditional style (you'll sit on pillows on the floor.) It's great food and a great experience. Some nights they have taraab music, as well.
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 04:52 AM

I agree with Sandi. The Rooftop restaurant had great views of the sea and the lobster proved to be well worth the price. We also ate at the Africa house which also had great views during the sunset. There are many restaurants around, but don't forget to go to the night market, it was fun and very inexpensive, which kind of made up for the price of the lobster the night before. I met my husband traveling through East Africa; we traveled down to Cape Town together. It was amazing and Zanzibar was truly a highlight for us. Currently we are traveling through Thailand, but please, check out our Zanzibar pictures here! http://hobosinlovemedia.com Cheers!
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 09:38 AM

Very much agree that Emerson & Green(now called 236 Hrumzi) is not worth the trip - brilliant view and lovely music (the night that we were there) but the food - not good, not worth the money, you pay for the view.
One little gem in Stone Town is Archipelago - (in the main street close to the bridge) BRILLIANT - not licenced but you can take your own drinks and there is a bottle store across the road (they even collect their own empties from the restaurant). Brilliant, brilliant prawns with chips, and very good value for money - We were only for 4 days in Stone Town and went
there twice, both times, very full. Always a good sign when a restuarant is full. Enjoy, you will love it!!!
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Lovely. Thanks so much everyone.
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 11:04 AM

Don't know the name, but a short walk right down the road from the Serena (so also from Beyt al Chai) is a lovely French restaurant. Believe it's relatively new, at good price. And, there's another next door to this French eatery. Ask at the hotel.
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

hey guys. thanks again for all the tips. We ended up having dinner at Archipelago, lunch at the restaurant attached to Beyt al Chai, and drinks at the Serena.

Archipelgo was a great recommendation. Thanks rafikimilly. We really enjoyed our meal.

And the Serena was beautiful. We sat on the patio overlooking the ocean and watched the sunset. It was the perfect end to our trip.

I think I'll try the Tembo next time and maybe the Monsoon. Hopefully, that is, if there is a next time.