Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Stellarossa has returned from his mammoth Egyptian trek . . any questions???

Stellarossa has returned from his mammoth Egyptian trek . . any questions???

Dec 16th, 1998, 08:03 AM
Tony Hughes

Stellarossa has returned from his mammoth Egyptian trek . . any questions???

Yes, that's right, I'm back - with plenty of photos, bits of various pyramids and an award winning bowel infection. Happy to answer questions from my sick bed.

Dec 18th, 1998, 01:41 AM
Jodi

Any thoughts on how I can avoid the creeping crud in MY bowel when I go in Feb?
Also, I plan on staying in Abu Simbel on 2/21/99 and hope to be at the Temple of Ramses 11 for sunrise....a taxi to the Temple? will the hotel be reliable in getting one there for me?
This is my first and probably only trip to Egypt and want to make the most of it..so any thoughts you have I will really appreciate

Dec 18th, 1998, 05:24 AM
Tony Hughes

Jodi . . .
Firstly to stay healthy in Africa you must avoid salads at all costs. Do not eat anything uncooked that has been washed in local tapwater. You may be told the salads have been rinsed in bottled water but do not believe this.

It's the local food that's the problem to the Western stomach. Most westerners that go to Egypt are ill in some fashion during their stay - just remember to take plenty of immodium or something similar to keep you from rushing to the bathroom every 15 minutes.

There isn't much to Abu Simbel - I think you would be better off staying in Luxor and getting a flight very early in the morning. There are special early flights to Abu Simbel to see the sunrise and to escape the worst of the heat.

Try to see some more temples . . Denderah/Luxor/Karnak/Philae/Kom Ombo/Edfu etc ... all worth a look.
If you have the chance go to Cairo then go. Many parts of it are fairly grim but the museum is worth a visit and the pyramids and Sphinx at Giza plateau are a must.

Dec 18th, 1998, 06:16 PM
Judy

I agree with Tony about Abu Simbel. I just got back from Egypt and that was probably my least favorite site.

I didn't get sick at all but my husband did. I think he either ate street food or maybe it was the ice in his cocktail on our last night. I stuck to beer and wine and ate very little...

We spent three nights in Cairo. I've never seen or smelled pollution like that. But I could spend days at the Egyptian Museum!

Apr 19th, 1999, 01:23 PM
michele

Tony,

Hope you are feeling better by now! Thanks for the Egypt tips. I enjoy your comments on the Europe forum and I suspect others do, too.

Apr 19th, 1999, 06:26 PM
Al

Sorry about the "Mummy Tummy," Tony. I hear it happens to most folks. That Girl and I are off to Egypt in the late fall and will be on guard. In going to places such as China and Turkey and East Africa, we have avoided The Zoooooms by using Purell, the waterless hand cleaner. I understand it contains alcohol and kills anything this side of a Cape Buffalo. May I call upon your sage advice as our departure date approaches in October?

Apr 22nd, 1999, 08:22 AM
Tony Hughes

Thanks Michele ...most people tell me I am too rude or insulting on the Europe Forum but some email me later on to say that they like my style of prose. Not everyone, mind you.

Al, you can ask whatever you want, mate or I can send you a copy of my twelve thousand word journal I wrote whilst I was there - that may give you an idea of what to expect.

Apr 22nd, 1999, 08:33 AM
michele

Tony,

Have you ever been to Syria? I am daydreaming about visiting the place next April, as Europe, it appears, will be swarming with millenium crazed tourists. Let me know if you have any
info. ( As a side note, I think many, not all, of the Europe crowd are too busy gushing over Paris to appreciate a realistic point of view.)

Your fan, Michele

Apr 22nd, 1999, 05:17 PM
Carolyn

Hi, I am going to Egypt June 24 for 2 weeks.do you know anything about an agency Holiday.com in Cairo? Their prices are very good butI am worried about quality. Also is it normal to pay the balance in cash upon arrival ( the deposit will be wired)?
We look forward to your reply./
Carolyn

Apr 23rd, 1999, 04:10 AM
Tony Hughes

Michele...

Syria is too close to Iraq for me to spend any more then a day or two in. I would prefer Jordan - a little calmer or Israel- a little more western. All of these places are Arab Middle East type nations you must understand.

Carolyn, unfortunately I have never encountered holiday.com so I can't really give you much advice there. The quality differs between firms of course BUT in Egypt hotels will, on the whole, be of poorer quality than what I presume you are used to (are you American?) I stayed in a five star place in Cairo (Ramses Hilton), it was ok, quite good in fact but again not THAT good. Quality is only a relative term. For Africa my hotel was one of the best, for North America perhaps less so.

Apr 23rd, 1999, 02:54 PM
Al

Funny thing, Tony. I have had the same experience. My sometimes not-quite-politically-correct views bring down a hailstorm of scorn from ladies who get their knickers in a twist because they can't stand inconoclastic views expressed....with pepper. Later, upon further experience and some reflection, I get little notes of apology or concurrence. Keep it up -- nihil bastardus carborundum. Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Apr 28th, 1999, 01:04 PM
jennifer

Tony,
I'm planning a trip to Egypt and Petra, Jordon. Is it possible to do two together? What's the best month of the year to go there? Is it safe for a young single famale(Asian)get around alone? Or do you recommend to join a tour group, which I'm trying to avoid? I'll appreciate your respond.

May 4th, 1999, 03:55 AM
Tony Hughes

Jennifer ...

It's possible, in fact fairly simple, to visit both Egypt and Jordan in one holiday.

The best month of the year depends... I went to Egypt in november/december and even at that time it was around 95 degrees. From where I come from (Scotland) it's hot. Summer in Upper Egypt can get up to 120 degrees - far too hot for people like me with skin the colour of milk. Spring or Autumn (fall) would probably be your best bet.

I will be honest and say I would recommend a tour group. It can be disconcerting for a Western female in an Islamic country - men staring/touching/annoying you etc. Being on your own may be seen as being more vulnerable. I'm not saying crime is any worse just that perhaps curiousity is.

I know people who have done both and have enjoyed the trip and vice versa.

Email me if you require any help or info or whatever, ok ?

May 21st, 1999, 12:53 PM
Tony Hughes

for the record, I have just about recovered some 5 months later...

regards

May 30th, 1999, 11:57 PM
Randi

Sorry to read you have recovered from your diarrhea of the stomach Tony. Too bad you never will recover from your diarrhea of the mouth. They've told me you have removed your crappy self from the Europe boards FINALLY. I wonder as usually offensive people like you never truly leave until they go to the netherlands for all eternity. If anyone here on the Africa boards wonder about this post just come on by the Europe board and see how Tony tries to dictate and control the posts over there!

May 31st, 1999, 12:23 AM
April

Randi,
Speaking of "offensive", you might want to reread your own message, and while you're at it, read this forum's rules of conduct.

May 31st, 1999, 01:19 AM
Randy Malpaso

Actually Randi, I think Tony does the opposite. He attempts to make sure the board isnt controlled by a few. Read or re-read his postings 'Dont dare...'

You may have misinterpreted it.

Jun 1st, 1999, 08:27 AM
michele

Tony hs the right to speak his mind. Personally, I find his postings on the European forum a breath of fresh air and a dose of reality. There is far too much"Chartre and champagne" gushing that goes on over there. Tony tends to point out that people live in Europe and it is not some great big playground for tourists. Anyway, I enjoy his candor and his sense of humor.

Jun 3rd, 1999, 06:48 AM
Bly

Tony - in trouble again! Just joking - We were in Kenya and Tanzania in March/April - to those that haven't already gone on their African adventure - use bottled water for everything - brushing your teeth, drinking, etc. Avoid juices, ice in drinks, salads or fruit w/ skin you can't peel, etc. Even coffee and tea is questionable - don't know if it was boiled thoroughly. Even in doing this - we were on immodium for breakfast and pepto bismol was our after dinner mint. Now, 3 months later, we're still feeling the effects of our trip. Al - believe me, we had the Purell, antibacterial baby wipes, enough Deet to kill a horse, ... and we still got sick. The trip was fantastic, however, and you got to take the good with the bad. b

Jun 17th, 1999, 09:36 PM
georgia

No doubt this question has been asked many times but I've only recently stumbled on this site. I'm a part-time uni student in Australia and cannot get an international I.D.from here so I was hoping to get one from Cairo. Any idea on where I need to go to get one?

Search this Thread