Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Staying in Bush Homes-leaving in less than 2 weeks! (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/staying-in-bush-homes-leaving-in-less-than-2-weeks-644647/)

cindysafari Sep 6th, 2006 07:37 AM

Staying in Bush Homes-leaving in less than 2 weeks!

Well, I can't believe we will be leaving in less than 2 weeks for our long planned journey. Our arrangements are with Bush Homes of East Africa. It will be interesting to see how we like our accomodations, and the places that we are going, as they are different from most itineraries that I have read here. Also, we are staying in places that are very small, and accomodate only very small groups, usually it will only be the 6 of us. I wonder how this will be? Sometimes I think it would be nice to meet new people, but on the other hand, we won't have to deal with other tourists that might not be so pleasant to spend time with...we know who our fellow safari mates will be! Our safari will only be 12 days, and we will be meeting up with our companions, who will have already been in Kenya for over a week before us. Also, we will arrive at 7:30 am in Nairobi, and be flown directly from Wilson to meet up with our friends, so no down time to recoup in Nairobi. Well, it will be an adventure, for sure! Our consultant has promised that our safari will be unique and unlike anyone elses' that we know...hopefully we will be glad that we choose Bush Homes...we'll see! Yes, this is long winded post...I guess I'm just so excited...a lifelong dream to go to Africa almost realized...just think how long my trip report will be...yikes!
Cindy from Californa

Patty Sep 6th, 2006 09:27 AM

Have a fantastic trip! If you see Ross at Samatian, tell him that Mark & Patty from California said hello.

cooncat3 Sep 6th, 2006 10:03 AM

I've never even heard of Bush Homes... :-) Hope you have a wonderful trip and let us know how it all was when you get back!

Leely Sep 6th, 2006 10:06 AM

Sounds really interesting, Cindy. Take copious notes. Or just enjoy yourself. :D

sandi Sep 6th, 2006 12:21 PM

cindy -

Sorry I didn't finish the 2nd (partial) day at Richard's, but I'm sure you'll enjoy. Management and guides are a delight, food is wonderful... and do the Victorian bath. Also check out their gift shop as Liz has some interesting items not seen elsewhere and I believe most at fair prices. Have a wonderful safari.

cindysafari Sep 6th, 2006 02:34 PM

Thanks so much for your good wishes, guys.
Patty, I will for sure say hi to Ross for you and Mark...
and Sandi, I am so looking forward to the Victorian bath....this trip is coming up so fast now, I can't believe it...can't wait!
Cindy

bat Sep 6th, 2006 02:44 PM

Have a great trip. For some reason I thought that Bush Homes of East Africa morphed into Uncharted Outposts--but no?

cindysafari Sep 6th, 2006 04:11 PM

Hmmm, I checked Uncharted Outposts webpage, and it looks like they have the same properties...it even says it's a Bush Homes company, so I don't really know. I guess we'll find out...we are to be met at NBO by a represenative of Bush Homes..we'll see!
Cindy

atravelynn Sep 6th, 2006 06:15 PM

Have a wonderful trip. Please report back on Bush Homes.

bat Sep 7th, 2006 02:24 PM

Maybe Uncharted Outposts is a US branch/subsidiary--in any event--have a fabulous trip.

cindysafari Sep 9th, 2006 06:25 AM

Yes, maybe it is a branch of Bush homes, I really don't know. As long as we are taken care of-(and we sure SHOULD be, for the cost of this trip!)- we will be happy. I'm anxious to stay at the Bush homes, and report back on them...Except for Patty at Samatian, and Sandi at Richard's Camp, I haven't seen anything about the other properties we are staying at, on this site. Well, as you can see I am rather long winded, so I guess my report will not leave out a single detail...I sure am planning on writing in my journal each day, as so many writers have recommended here. 'Course if you don't hear from me, I either got stomped by an elephant, or eaten by a lion. :)
My reluctant husband is sure we'll meet some such fate!
Cindy

Patty Sep 9th, 2006 08:43 AM

Bush Homes represents properties that are individually owned and operated, so the style and atmosphere of each camp will be very much a reflection of their owner hosts.

Patty Sep 9th, 2006 09:04 AM

BTW I mean that in a very <b>good</b> way :)

cindysafari Sep 11th, 2006 02:29 PM

Oh Patty, I hope it's good. I know you liked Lake Baringo, and we had a visiting Kenyan couple over last night who said this is were they love to go on vacation from their home in Eldoret, so that is a good thing...although they had never heard of Samatian Island Camp...well, only a few days away now....yippee!!!!!
Cindy