Staying at Addo Elephant Park

Aug 15th, 2004, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Staying at Addo Elephant Park

Hello,
I know that some of you have stayed at Addo. I have reservations there for 2 nights, but have a question. The park information states that the gate closes at 19h00. Does anyone know if this means that you absolutely can't enter to return to your cabin after 19h00 or does this mean that no attendant is on duty at this time? I'd like to go on a night drive at Schotia and if I did I wouldn't be able to make it back by 19h00. I'd hate for the 4 of us to sleep in our car! Thanks for your help.
Aug 15th, 2004, 02:15 PM

Basically there are two gates. There is the gate from outside into the park and that leads into the reception and accommodation areas. These are fenced off from the main park and you have to pass through another gate from accommodation area to get to the main park.

I'm not sure (and winter times are different to summer times) but I seem to recall that the gates into the park (to see the animals) shut earlier than those into the entrance area and accommodation area.

I'd recommend writing to SANParks (via website email link) and have them answer for you. Or call them on o42-233-0556 which is the number I called to ask about activities.

Would it be better to stay overnight at Schotia and then get up really early to get into Addo?
Aug 18th, 2004, 08:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Kavey. I'll get in touch with Addo. Already have reservations at Addo for two nights. Did you go to both Addo and Schotia? If so, would you recommend this? thanks.
Aug 19th, 2004, 12:28 AM

No we didnt go to Schotia as we went on to Hluhluwe-Imfolozi, Ndumo, Ithala, Kruger and then several different camps around Botswana.

Search this Thread