Search

Shopping in Cape Town

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 04:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shopping in Cape Town

Hi all

I will be going on a combination CapeTown and safari (Botswana and Kruger) and was wondering if anyone had any shopping recommendations in Cape Town? Is there a certain area where we can go? Of course, want to find some local art/gifts for good prices.

Thanks as always!
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 08:05 AM

Where do I start. Make sure you keep your receipts, as a foreignor you can get the tax you paid on your goods refunded when you leave. The Waterfront is good for shopping, resturants, movies and just people watching. It is geared for the tourist so the crafts might be a bit on the expensive side. Secondly, branded as the largest mall in africa Canal Walk will take you the better part of a day. Shops, shops and more shops. Last but not least, as a Cape Townian living abroad my wife's favourite place to shop is Cavendish Square in Claremont. The mall itself won awards for it's designs. All of these locations will provide stores of all kinds with goods of the highest quality and no chance of being ripped off or being sold inferior quality stuff. Less geared to tourists is the Kenilworh Shopping Centre and the Access Park factory outlets. You might be able to bargain at these outlets without sacrificing quality. As Nike, Adidas, Levi all have outlets here. Hope this helps. Feel free to e-mail me if you want more specifics.
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 07:43 AM

For crafts, there is a big craft market in Seapoint (is that right, local folks?) where you can find every kind of carving, tee shirts, kitchen stuff, paintings, etc. etc. etc. I can't remember its days and hours, maybe only Sunday mornings.
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 09:33 AM

Hi Novsafari,

Both the mails from Saleemjig and Celia are on the button. The craft mart that Celia talks of is only on a Sunday at the Green Point stadium and I must warn that it is a bit of a jumble sale. The same people who sell on the Greenmarket Square on weekdays move to the Green Point Stadium on Sundays.

There is also the Pan African Market in Long Street where you will find anything that is remotely African.

A shoping venue that few seem to visit yet is very qaint and filled with lots of interesting purchases is on the "Treasure Mile" in Kalk Bay. Some of the trinkets, books, antiques, antique jewelery and all else really are quite amazing on this shopping strip of the Kalk Bay main road. Also stop at the MoneyTree restaurant for some wonderful local food if you visit this area or cross the road and visit the Harbour so as to have great local fish at Kalkies.

Another one of my favorite shopping spots is the Red Shed craft centre in the Waterfront region. Great local craft.

Selwyn Davidowitz
Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 07:55 AM

I was going to recommend Kalk Bay, but Selwyn beat me to it. In my view there is nothing nicer than wandering the shops of Kalk Bay on a summer day - wonderful shopping and glorious sea views all in one! I also highly recommend the stylish shops of Cavendish Square. However, I suspect that if you are on a tour you will be staying in closer proximity to the Waterfront and if you do not have a car it may be easiest to get there. The Waterfront shops will keep you very busy and I agree with Selwyn that you should visit the Red Shed market there.
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 08:29 AM

I always find something wonderful in the Red Shed market. On our last trip, it was pillow covers in fabrics reminiscent of San cave paintings, and beautiful baskets to hang on the wall. The time before that, it was an absolutely darling little safari dress for my 2-year old niece. Lotsa neat stuff there!