Search

Zambia, The Devil's Pool

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2011, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zambia, The Devil's Pool

As a part of my tour to Victoria Falls and Livingstone Island I get an exciting option to do something not many mere mortals have had the opportunity to do. We are told our next stop has been visited by none other than the main man from below.

I am sure he has swam here to cool off but I am doing it just for the “Hell” of it and because I want to experience life on the edge!

A quick change into swim trunks and we are in the Zambezi River on a guided swim towards Devil's Pool. Fortunately, for us the water is somewhat clear and refreshing with just a mild current as it flows towards the edge of Victoria Falls.

Devil's Pool is an area of about twelve feet deep water located at the edge of the main fall. Here only a few feet of a natural rock barrier separates you from a three thousand feet or so (give or take a few inches) plunge to a watery death. A certainty when the Zambezi River is rushing over it in the rainy season.

We are told there are two options to get into Devil's Pool. However, unlike our tour guide who makes a leaping swan dive in, we all opt for the more timid “crawl and jump in” approach.

Since I am traveling alone I get to watch the experience first as our guide takes the other two adventurers to the edge of the pool. I can easily tell that at first it is not a comfortable feeling for them. I wonder why?

It is then my turn to crawl and jump into one of Satan's playgrounds. The swirling water is refreshingly cool and I can see why he might have enjoyed hanging out here. For a moment, I even lose my sense of the lurking danger nearby.

In a few minutes, I am sitting on a wall as the Zambezi River streams by me and continues it's crashing descent to the valley below. As I follow our guide's instruction, I erase from my mind that I am lying on my stomach three thousand feet above a gouge at the edge the world's largest waterfall secured only by his grip on only one of my ankles.

Somewhat relaxed, I slide forward and look down into the watery abyss. It is an awesome sight and a spectacular sensation. However, I am thankful for “The Smoke That Thunders” as it skews my depth perception and probably saved my heart from popping out of my chest.

My thrill is kicked up a notch when as I am laying on my back my body is further extended over the falls while my one secured (and lucky) leg is held in the air. I have just truly experienced living life on the edge and I did it at one of the seven wonders of the world, Victoria Falls.

Video:
http://youtu.be/O_nEi-tCGBA
Old Nov 21st, 2011, 07:00 AM

Enjoyed the video, which is the only way I'll ever be experiencing Devil's Pool. That swan dive was crazy. I kept hoping the guy on the left with the camera was well aware of where he was as he backed up for a shot.
Old Nov 21st, 2011, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

atravelnn,

Funny his swan dive actually give me a little confidence that he knew what he was doing with us out there. I would have never done it myself... Just fine crawling in

Being able to have pictures taken was very cool although I consider it a life threatening job for the photographer
Old Nov 21st, 2011, 04:51 PM

Fortunately when we were there the pool was to shallow for diving!
Old Nov 21st, 2011, 05:44 PM

Never in a million years would I do it, especially not now I've seen the video! Looks like you had a great time though.
Old Nov 21st, 2011, 05:56 PM

Ok now seriously...have they ever lost anybody over the falls?

This is way too scary for me!!
Old Nov 21st, 2011, 06:26 PM

Not knowing about Devil's Pool when we visited the Falls, it was quite shocking to see people right at the edge. Looks like quite a thrill. Not for me, though!
Old Nov 21st, 2011, 07:16 PM

I got vertigo from the video itself!! You're a braver soul than me
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 02:48 AM

Amazing video not for those fearful of heights.Was at the
Devil's Cauldron in Banos Ecuador last fall deeper bigger pool
but smaller falls deep in the Amazon but this is a tonne more exciting thanks for posting.

Seems the Devil travels a lot there

is stuff named after him all over.

Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 05:38 AM

But could you swan dive into it Qwovadis?

"<b>KathBCon Nov 21, 11 at 8:56pm

Ok now seriously...have they ever lost anybody over the falls?</b>"

Unfortunately a guide was lost when he saved his client from going over the edge. I think it was in the last year.
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Marijai,

Even with the water deeper, I never would have dove in, especially a swan dive!

Femi,

Yes, I did have a GREAT TIME... Sorry the video spoiled you from thinking about trying it
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 01:59 PM

Fantastic, I just love that African spirit!!!
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 02:52 PM

DMBTraveler--Now safely out of danger, I just know I would have dived in! My DH did scrape his ankle against some rock there and it took months to heal. Probably devil residue.
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 06:02 PM

"...probably devil residue."- LOL!

DMB- The video just confirmed my prior thoughts!
Old Nov 30th, 2011, 06:03 PM

In the video, I was more worried about the guide with the camera who kept backing up so that he could get the shot!

When I did Devil's Pool last year, they didn't give us an option to crawl down lower...they forced us to jump (or dive) from the higher rocks! I still touched bottom briefly after my high jump before I headed to the top so I don't think I would chance diving anyway. Feet first is good enough!

DMBTraveler - I'm glad you survived and are now part of our very exclusive club! Maybe we should get "I survived Devil's Pool" t-shirts or something? ;-) Did you feel the fish nibbling on your toes?
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

CarrieT,

I am onboard for the T-Shirt idea

I just was not comfortable diving head first into the unknown. Who knows I may have had a head on collision with a fish!