SSGR Honeymoon advice req.

Jul 18th, 2004, 07:45 PM
Original Poster

SSGR Honeymoon advice req.

Message: A question for Safarinut or anyone who may be able to help us.
My fiance and I are staying 5 nights (honeymoon)at Leopard Hills next month (Aug 23)and want to stay another 3 nights at another Priv Game Lodge.Rhino Post Lodge sounds good(sharing some traversing rights with Mala Mala ie)
I've been told that for a lot of the Lodges you sometimes have to travel out one gate and enter thru another sometimes a distance away.
How far away and how long would it take to get to Rhino Post?
We'd like to stay at a different Lodge,
one that has different traversing rights,but not too far away in terms of time taken to get there.A small Lodge accomodating 16 people or less, no kids located close to/on a river.
Oh, and also not too expensive (L.Hills has seen to most of our budget!)
What can you recommend?
Many thanks in advance.
Marc & Rossana
Jul 18th, 2004, 10:00 PM

Hi africaddict

Rhino Post Lodge is situated inside the KNP and although they share their western border with Mala Mala they don't share traversing rights.

To reach Rhino Post Lodge from Leopard Hills you will have to leave the SSGR through Shaws Gate in the southern section,get to the R 536 again(this is the main access to Paul Kruger Gate),enter the KNP at Paul Kruger Gate and head for Skukuza.Rhino Post Lodge is approximately 10km North East (as the hornbill flies) of Skukuza Rest Camp.

Distance and time:

1)From Leopard Hills to Shaws Gate +-1 hour(remember you are driving at 20 kilometers/hour)

2)From Shaws Gate to the R536,15 minutes

3)From the R536 to Paul Kruger Gate +- 10 minutes

4)From PKG to Skukuza 12 km

Then from Skukuza to Rhino Post Lodge is approximately 10km.

This sounds complicated but is actually very easy and most of your driving will be done within the parks.

I have a great Lodge in mind for your extension at a tremendous bargain!

If you book within 14 days of travelling you could get the amazing Lion Sands Ivory Lodge at R2000pp/night,a saving of R10 000 a night!!!!!! per room booked through mtbeds.I know R4000 a night isn't cheap but you will never again see this lodge at this price.The special runs until the end of September.Rack rates usually at R14 000 per night per room!!!

A second option would be Jock Safari Lodge inside KNP(between Skukuza and Berg en Dal restcamps)same route as described earlier with minor changes once inside KNP.You could book this lodge at R1450pp/night if within 21 days of travelling,again through mtbeds.Usual rack rates R2750pp/night.

Although Rhino Post Lodge looks beautiful I would not let the opportunity of staying at Lion Sands Ivory Lodge at this price slip away.

Websites mentioned:

mtbeds.co.za
Lionsands.com
jocksafarilodge.com

Good luck!

Jul 19th, 2004, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much Safarinut. How far away would the Ivory Lodge(L.Sands)be from L.Hills and time taken to get there? Bearing in mind that we will be on the Federal Air flight at 13.30 from KMA(this can be changed I guess).
Who would pick us up from the Lodges.
L.Hills going out or Ivory Lodge going to and from?
Is this logistically possible?
Does Fed Air leave from Skukuza?
Apologies for all the confusion, hope you can help, not that you haven't done so already!Much appreciated.
Cheers
Marc
Jul 19th, 2004, 07:37 PM

Hi Marc

Leopard Hills is less than an hour's drive from Lion Sands Ivory Lodge(+- 30 km).The lodge can arrange the transfers.

Here's the details for flights into and out from Lion Sands:

BY AIR?
Scheduled Flights:

SA Airlink operated by South African Airways, has one flight daily from Johannesburg to the Sabi Sands Game Reserve (Mala Mala Airfield). The flight details are as follows:

SA 8126 / JIA ? AAM
Depart 11h10
Arrive 12h10

SA 8127 / AAM ? JIA
Depart 12h35
Arrive 13h35

Alternatively there are two airlines that service the KMI Airport namely: SA Airlink, and Nationwide Airlines. Direct flights are available from Durban, Johannesburg and Cape Town.

Should you require a land transfer from KMI Airport to Lion Sands this can be booked and arranged through Lion Sands Reservations.

CHARTERS:
There is a charter flight (Federal Air) available direct from Johannesburg International Airport to Skukuza Airport. The estimated time of this transfer is 1h15min.These charter flights can be booked through Lion Sands Reservations.

Flight Times:
DEP JNB 09h30 / ARR SZK 11h00
DEP JNB 11h30 / ARR SZK 13h00
DEP JNB 13h30 / ARR SZK 15h00
DEP SZK 09h30 / ARR JNB 11h00
DEP SZK 11h30 / ARR JNB 13h00
DEP SZK 13h30 / ARR JNB 15h00

Type of Aircraft: Cessna Grand Caravan (maximum of 12 passengers)
Baggage Allowance: 20kg's (Secure excess baggage storage facilities are available at JIA)

Should you use a commercial airline and fly to KMI Airport near Nelspruit, there is a charter flight (Federal Air) to Skukuza. The estimated time of this air transfer is 0h25min.

TRANSFERS:
Skukuza airport?
Return transfers between Skukuza airport and the Lodge/Camp in our open Land Rovers are available. The transfer fee is included in the tariff and takes approximately 25 minutes

KMI Airport?
Guests will be met at the airport and transferred in an air-conditioned microbus. The distance is approximately 110 kilometres and is estimated to take 1h50 hours and is excluded from the rate.

Mala Mala airfield?
Guests will be collected from the airstrip by open land rovers and transported to the lodge. The transfer time is approximately 45 minutes and is excluded from the rate.

Man I hope you can get this arranged as I will be paying R14 000 a night at the SAME Ivory Lodge this December!

Happy to answer further questions!

Search this Thread