Shampoo that mosquitoes hate?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2004, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I begin to pack for Botswana, my Aveda products that are derived from plants/flowers create visions of mosquitoes dive bombing me in waves. Does anyone have a suggestion for shampoo that is not on the mosquitoes 'favorites' list? : )
Old May 11th, 2004, 04:57 PM

Girlpolo33: It is my understanding that anything unscented is best, including deodorants, moisturizing creams, etc. We got ours at Trader Joes. I haven't looked for an unscented shampoo, but I think Neutragena (?) might have one. If you find one, post it. Thanks.
Old May 11th, 2004, 05:01 PM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
How long will the mosquitos be bad? Are they worse this year because of the heavy rains? I've been twice in Jul/Aug and have only seen 2 or 3 mosquitos during the whole trip.
Old May 11th, 2004, 05:21 PM

girlpolo,

While I cannot help you with the shampoo issue, I did want to comment that Macatoo looks like a great place and is surprisingly very reasonably priced. Two horseback rides daily instead of two game drives does add an interesting twist!

We are both in the "home stretch" now before our respective trips. I cannot wait to read about your trip report, especially regarding the horseback safari portion.

Have a great time!
Old May 12th, 2004, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Cronen: Thanks for the valuable advice!

Rocco: I look forward to hearing all about your trip! Yes, the horseback aspect should make my trip memorable. We hope to be galloping beside herds of zebra and giraffe. Of course, this makes it the most dangerous thing I've ever attempted...horses are fairly unpredictable, even in the best of circumstances. Yesterday, I was almost thrown from a horse when a small tractor drove by...imagine when lion or elephant charge! : )
Old May 12th, 2004, 05:42 AM
sandi

I definitely agree with Cronen and always suggest that you should try your best to use unscented deodorant, body lotions, and no perfume. But I never thought about shampoo - good idea.

Cronen - you mention Trader Joe's - aren't you in NYC? So where is the Trader Joe's? Down in the Village? I know I see folks with the TJ bags, and can't believe everyone carrying these brought them from California. Do tell. Thanks.

Old May 12th, 2004, 06:23 AM

Mosquitoe repellant
The best way to keep the mossies off you is to drink lots of rum. In all my years in Africa I have yet to see a drunk Mossie.
If you take a few tins of insect repellant and spary it on yourself and especially your ankles at night you will be fine. Remember the repellant only lasts properly for about 2 to 3 hours.
Old May 12th, 2004, 07:27 AM

Sandi, I live on Long Island. We have lots of Trader Joes here. I think there is also one in Larchmont. I don't think there are any right in the city. I love them. Great stuff at great prices. We can't get the Charles Shaw wine (Two Buck Chuck) though, NYS laws don't allow it.
Old May 12th, 2004, 12:59 PM
sandi

Cronen - thanks - Long Island, interesting. But I believe there is one in the Village, so I'll check there. Yes, I know NYS has strange laws re alcohol, but surprisingly, the other day, I actually saw wine (real wine 12%) being sold in a supermarket in Manhattan. When did that happen? Know New Yorkers have been pushing for, at least, wine in supermarkets - but this was the first time I've seen it, and a small display at that. But it's a start.

girlpolo33 - an idea, if you can't find unscented shampoo/conditioner - use your own Aveda product, then after you put repellent on any exposed skin, do what many people do with perfume, namely - spray the repellent into the air and walk thru it (with eyes closed). A light mist will settle on your hair and that should kill the scent of the Aveda products, and eliminate the possibility of being attacked! Let us know how whatever you choose to do works out!

Old May 12th, 2004, 05:42 PM

Girlpolo, if you can find a health food store (like a Whole Foods or Wild Oats) there will be several non-scented shampoos. Also may be one at a pharmatist.
Have a great time. I have friends who did the horseback safari a few years ago and they loved it!
Old May 12th, 2004, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

Sandi and Clematis, thanks for the suggestions! I have to laugh at myself a bit...as if the sweaty horses won't be attracting swarms of gnats, flies and mossies. Focusing on shampoo must be some form of denial (spiders, snakes, elephant, hippo and lion are lurking in my subconscious). Shampoo is the only thing I can control!?Hopefully, the cool nights will keep the mossies down.

Old May 13th, 2004, 10:33 PM

No, I think this is wise. There's a difference between natural scents and artificial ones. In fact, I'm allergic to most perfumes (it's a chemical they put in them). And once in a while you get seated next to a woman who never learned you walk into the scent (if you're going to wear it), not spray it all over your bod.
Can't wait to see your horseback safari photos!
Old May 14th, 2004, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Clematis, thanks for the good wishes and I look forward to sharing stories and pictures upon a safe return. I have to laugh at myself sometimes. The horses I'm riding now to get in riding shape have nearly thrown me off several times. Let's see...a small tractor, a large Rottweiler...scary stuff. Then I imagine elephants, etc...and hope the the African horses are a bit more mellow than our local horses!
Old May 15th, 2004, 08:48 PM

girlpolo, I am laughing - at first I thought you meant you were riding tractors and a large rotweiller to practice riding the horses!!!

You will have a great time!
Old May 16th, 2004, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Clematis: The Rotweiller was large enough to ride...that was the problem! No, I am actually riding horses : )
I'm traveling with a friend who asked if I was bringing a riding helmet. Yes, yes, yes! I have been thrown more times than I can count. Once the horse was scared of a small pile of DIRT!
Old May 21st, 2004, 07:24 PM

The only mosquitoes we saw were a couple of spots during mokoro rides...and we spent 2 nights in Nxabega which is a water camp. It gets down into the 40s at night now, so I think that has knocked them down.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 12:11 AM

Girlpolo, I think you are leaving tomorrow... have a wonderful trip!