Spend an extra day in aswan?

Sep 1st, 2004, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Spend an extra day in aswan?

Hi,
I'm travelling to aswan and I'm definitely taking the trip to abu simbel. Form what I understand, I'll be back from abu simbel to aswan sometime in the afternoon. In the evening, i'm planning on seeing the light show at the philae temple.

My question is:

is it worth it spending the nite in aswan and leaving the following evening? is there enuff to do in aswan for a whole extra day?

or should i leave aswan immideately following the light show and spend the extra day in cairo instead?
Sep 1st, 2004, 12:35 PM
sandi

Our time in Aswan was on the boat, so can't comment on what's to do in town. But if you do the Light & Sound Show at Philae, what time does it end, and what time is last flight back to CAI? If I recall, the L&S shows are done after dark, and run about an hour, but then you have to boat back to Aswan and then to airport.

If you have to overnight in ASW, I'm sure you can find a hotel that would be less expensive then in CAI, find a nice restaurant for dinner, and I'm sure the Souk may still be open - they are fun to walk thru.

From the time you return from Abu Simbel you might want to check out the Nubian Museum - open air and open late afternoon into the evening (when the heat is not as oppressive). Something to do till the L&S show.

Sep 8th, 2004, 04:24 AM
rfb

Aswan is one of my favorite places in the whole world. I think you can find plenty to occupy yourself.

Philae is worth seeing in the daytime. The Nubian museum is exceptionally well laid out. If there's wind felucca rides are nice as long as you establish a firm price before getting in the boat. The souk at night is one of the closest that you will ever find to the way things used to be.

If nothing else, you cant go wrong just sitting back at some bar or restaurant and enjoying the view.

Search this Thread