Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Soweto Tour? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/soweto-tour-674271/)

wavejourney Jan 27th, 2007 12:17 PM

Soweto Tour?

I want to take a Soweto tour, but don't really want a standard organized tour with a lot of other people. Would appreciate any info on tour guides, small group tours for Soweto and Joburg.
Thanks. Viv

annhig Jan 27th, 2007 12:24 PM

selwyn, who is a mine of information on south africa has a link with a township i believe. Try searching for his name in the search engine on this forum and see what you get.

good luck!

tuckeg Jan 27th, 2007 12:27 PM

Not an answer but an idea, when I was leaving SA in December there was an article in the newspaper about a Mexican restaurant that had opened in Soweto. It was locally owed by a couple and as I recall the husband had lived in Mexico and learned to cook there. Apparently it's a big draw among both locals and visitors. If you like Mexican, it might be worth considering if you can find it.

wavejourney Jan 27th, 2007 03:01 PM

Thanks for the tips - Selwyn doesn't know anyone in Joburg, but he does tours to a township near Cape Town. Will probably pass on the Mexican restaurant at this point, just returned from Mexico and had my fill (think it may of been Montezuma's revenge that put me over the top).

atravelynn Jan 27th, 2007 05:10 PM

The tour I took was offered at the desk of the former Holiday Inn at the Joburg airport. It was 4 people in a van. Check with the airport hotels.

afrigalah Jan 27th, 2007 10:17 PM

Try www.soweto.co.za

That's where I started my enquiries when I was first considering a tour of Soweto. They were able to offer a shortened tour for two, but we eventually decided we would be too rushed and to leave it for our next visit to Africa (we didn't have enough time available in our schedule). We could have had the tour all booked long before we went to Africa.

John

Lolazahra Jan 28th, 2007 04:15 AM

I went on a great tour last month and also last year. The gentleman lives and works in Soweto. It covers a lot of ground, takes you inside of the shantytowns, stops at the important monuments and museums and you luch at Wandies. A great place to eat and read about all the millions of tourists that come through. You can use this guide with a tour or with your own group only. I did the latter both times. CC Africa booked him for me. I will email them for the name and number and post again when I get it.

wavejourney Jan 28th, 2007 11:33 AM

Thanks for everyone's input, I look forward to hearing the name of the guide CC Africa recommends.

Kay5 Jan 29th, 2007 01:38 PM

We were guided in Soweto by Eric Mantshongo. He actually lives there and is an excellent guide. Our tour was arranged by the Thompson's tour company, but I think you can contact Eric directly: 082-261-2203(SA cell). I have his e-mail address also but not sure if I should post it on an open forum like this.

Please bring gifts for the Soweto people : clothing (t-shirts), play balls (like the Nerf kind), cookies, school supplies. We visited a day care center with no electricity or plumbing. Water is available at central outdoor public spigots and the women carry buckets on their heads or in wheelbarrows.

wavejourney Jan 29th, 2007 02:14 PM

Hi Kay
Maybe yuu could email me Eric's email address to [email protected]

Appreciate everyone's feedback.
Cheers.
Viv

ShayTay Jan 29th, 2007 08:50 PM

Wilro Tours also does tours of Soweto. Our guide lived there and enjoyed showing us around. We visited the Carl Sithole Salvation Army Center, which was an interested stop...orphanage, community center, etc.