Southern Tanzania Timetable

Jul 6th, 2005, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Southern Tanzania Timetable

Hi Everyone,
Many thanks to everyone who not only answered my questions along the way but also to everyone sharing their experiences and knowledge. My husband and I just returned from 2 unbelievable weeks in northern Tanzania (Arusha, Tarangire, Ngorongoro, Lake Victoria, Serengeti, Lake Manyara) with our own guide and our own driver. We immediately started planning for a return trip next summer. We are thinking in terms of southern Tanzania (Mikomi, Udzungwa, Ruaha, Uluguru, Usambara) and returning to Tarangire and Arusha National Parks. We could potentially go any time between early June and end of August. We are avid birders and are interested in seeing both the animals and the birds. Is mid-August a good time to be in this area? Would it be better to move the date earlier? Is there anything to be gained by doing the route north to south (flying to Kilimanjaro and out of Dar es Salaam) or vice-versa? Thank you all so much. Judy
Jul 7th, 2005, 03:30 AM
sandi

Judy -

I'd suggest you get a preliminary itinerary from your tour outfitter - I assume you used an in-country operator for this just completed visit? If not, I would for the Southern Circuit; names of which you can find by doing a search here on Fodor's.

By now, they should have prices for 2006. With an idea of routing, prices and, of course, accommodations, along with the few Northern Circuit stops - will help decide your International Air routing... into DAR/out of JRO or vice versa. Besides you can't purchase air tickets, if using FF miles, more then 331 days prior departure.

Glad you enjoyed your experience; now get going with your 2006 plans.

Search this Thread