Southern Circuit Photos

Apr 6th, 2004, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Southern Circuit Photos

I hope I haven't gone too far and overloaded you all with our trip report. In case anyone is interested I've also uploaded our photos on Ofoto. The link is:

http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.js...1&sort_order=0

I hope this repays all of you a little for all your great information / reports / photos that I've looked at over the last couple of months since I found this firum.

Thanks, Ruth
Apr 6th, 2004, 04:27 PM

No luck with this link. Anybody else get through?
Apr 6th, 2004, 05:18 PM

Yes, I got thru this afternoon but was not able to spend the time. Tried later w/o luck.
Dick
Apr 6th, 2004, 06:41 PM
LizFrazier

Ruthie-
I got in to your album on the first try, which is unusual for me. Nice pictures, thanks a lot for sharing. I loved the scenery, the rivers, lagoons. I didn't recognize any of the camps though. Its been 14 years since I was last there. Thanks again. Very nice. Liz

Apr 7th, 2004, 03:59 AM
sandi

Sorry, no luck with this link! Couldn't get in.

Apr 7th, 2004, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

I've checked and re-posted the link.

Apr 7th, 2004, 05:07 AM

Nada. Niente. Zippo. Still not able to get through.

For comparison's sake, here is how my Ofoto album appears, although I am not too sure this is going to work either:

I really don't see any difference in the way our addresses appear, so I do not know why I cannot get through to yours. Anybody able to get through to mine that is not able to get through to Ruthie's?
Apr 7th, 2004, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Roccco,

Weird - I can get through to mine but can't get through to yours!
Apr 7th, 2004, 05:54 AM

When I try the link it tells me
"The page you're looking for is not available."
???
Apr 7th, 2004, 06:35 AM
LizFrazier

Rocco-
I couldn't get in to yours. I got the page unavailable. No problem with Ruthie's. Go figure. Liz

Apr 7th, 2004, 09:55 AM

RuthieC, I also can't get in your latest link. Rocco, I'm amazed you were able to get so many daytime leopard shots. Also I suspect I've seen that same cheetah mom and cubs at Singita only now of course they have grown up nicely.
Apr 7th, 2004, 11:09 AM

RuthieC: Thanks so much for the photos! Wonderful, exactly what I would have thought. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit in Selous and it looks like Ruaha and Mikumi will be on my list of places to go. How did you decide on Ruaha and Mikumi? Thanks again for sharing the photos. They were completely and utterly appreciated. Thank you! Thank you!
Apr 7th, 2004, 04:46 PM
sandi

Tried again and still can't get into your pics.

Apr 7th, 2004, 07:08 PM

If you sent an invitation to someone via email, ofoto sends you an email confirmation with a link. copy and paste that link to here and people can usually get in through that one.
Apr 7th, 2004, 07:23 PM

however, I got through on Ruthie's original address!
Apr 8th, 2004, 12:27 AM

Got in using your link in the first post.
Lovely! Thanks!
Ruaha looks like a stunning location!
Apr 8th, 2004, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

SusanLynne,

You asked how we decided on Ruaha and Mikumi. We went to kenya on a Somak tour a couple of years ago and, like everyone else on this site, completely fell in love with Africa. However we also found that we wanted to go somewhere much more remote - without 5 or 10 minibuses around each animal and with fewer people at each lodge / camp.

We often go to a Travel show in London held every February - it's called Destinations. Last year we met up with a South African tour operator at this show - Stuart from Pulse Africa. After talking to him for about an hour about the southern parts of Tanzania, we felt we trusted him to put an itinerary together which he did, based on the camps run by the Fox family. We stayed at 4 of their locations - Mikumi (3 nights), Mufindi Farm (3 nights), Ruaha River Lodge (5 nights) and Lazy Lagoon (3 nights).

We were spoilt by this holiday - there were very few guests at each camp - in fact at Mikumi and Mufindi we were the only guests so at each place we had the undivided attention of the managers and best guides. It was like staying with friends.

I've learnt a lot more about what to look for in a safari. Southern Tanzania seems to have most of it and I have definately left some of my heart in the Ruaha - even after 5 nights there I cried when I left. However by the sound of some recent reports, I'm probably going to leave the rest of my heart in Botswana when we go in June.
Apr 8th, 2004, 08:16 AM

I go to Destinations too - it's a great show isn't it?
I usually get sent tens of free tickets to it (as do most attendees) so if anyone based in London doesn't receive these next year and wants a ticket, remember to ask me next year.
Apr 8th, 2004, 08:18 AM

Your reasoning was exactly the same as mine when I opted to spend some time in Selous. I knew that elsewhere along the trip (Amboseli, Mara, N-Crater and Tarangire) that we would come across other vehicles/tourists. So, for that reason I opted to include Selous. I didn't regret our stay there at all ... in fact, it was one of the highlights of our trip. And I would go back in a heartbeat!
Apr 8th, 2004, 10:34 AM

I agree Ruaha looks amazing. Have to get out my maps when I get home!

Search this Thread