Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Southern & Western Tanzania; Want To Go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sundowner and I have finalized plans to go to southern and western Tanzania this September (another Fodorite may join us, as well.) Authentic Tanzania in Dar es Salaam is our outfitter, but I'm coordinating it. Our itinerary in a nutshell:

9/11 - Transfer by road to Mikumi (2 nights, Authentic Camp)
9/13 - Transfer by road to Ruaha (4 nights, Authentic Camp)
9/17 - Fly to Katavi (4 nights, Katuma Bush Lodge)
9/21 - Return to Dar or go to Mahale for chimp trekking as an option (3 nights, Kungwe Beach Lodge.)

Sundowner and I are going to Mahale, but some people may not want to, so it's optional. The "Authentic Camps" are the seasonal mobile camps with en-suite facilities described on Authentic Tanzania's website. The other camps are permanent ones owned by Mbali Mbali.

We've negotiated some great rates for this safari (thanks, in part, to some postings here on Fodor's) and wanted to share the opportunity with our fellow Fodorites. If you're interested and want more info, e-mail me at divedive99 at aol dot com.
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 12:16 PM

Many thanks for the invite and I'm sure everyone will have a great time. I would seriously consider going except that already have safari in South Africa then. Maybe in 2010?

regards - tom
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

I'm sorry you can't go with us, Tom. I have no idea where I'll go in 2010 but I'm always ready for a safari! David Barker at Authentic Tanzania has been great to work with if anyone is interested in going to southern and western Tanzania in the future.
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 03:27 PM

Tom, is the South Africa safari a honeymoon trip?

I only wish I could join you. Looks like a great trip!
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 03:33 PM

"Tom, is the South Africa safari a honeymoon trip?"

No, I don't think so
We've been "engaged" for only 10 years, and we're not rushing into anything !!!!

regards - tom
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Lynn. Are you still doing the gorilla trip?
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 06:42 PM

I would love to go with you but I don't know that I can manage September. Having said that I might just email you to get some pricing information just in case things improve. I have such a hankering to go to Southern Tanzania, only Selous is missing. I'll think about it.
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Selous is missing because we were trying to keep the costs down for the main safari. You can drive to Mikumi and Ruaha, but if we replaced Mikumi with Selous, then we would have to fly to Ruaha. If someone wanted to go to Selous, it could be done before or after the safari. I'm thinking of doing that myself, as my return flight isn't until about four days after I get back to Dar (used FF miles.)
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 01:37 PM

Yes, gorillas, golden monkeys, hopefully colobus monkeys in Nyungwe and hopefully some chimps in Murchison Falls.

I've looked for itineraries that do Mahale, Katavi, Ruaha, Selous. I can find 3 of the four or 2 of the 4, but not 4 for 4.

So ShayTay, once this becomes an annual trip, you may be able to include all 4 parks. Maybe just in time for my Sept 2011 departure with you and your fellow travelers. I'm penciling you in!
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Yeah, Lynn, maybe 2011! We almost had the 4 parks you wanted, but budgetary concerns won out. Authentic Tanzania has been great to work with and I'm looking forward to traveling with them. They wanted to put one of their "authentic camps" in Selous, but the permits were going to be prohibitive, so it was a "no go", at least this year. They also do mobiles, but I've got to have those "en-suite facilities."

It's been a while since I've been in southern Africa, so I guess I'd better work that in next year.
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 06:29 PM

When I see a budget for the 4 parks, I may decide 4 is one too many for the money.

Nice to know that mobile is an option as well.

Your itinerary looks great, especially with the chimips.
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

I'm looking forward to going to Mahale and doing the chimp trekking, although I'm going to have to get in better shape!

The main cost of the 4 parks is centered in Katavi and Mahale, with flights necessary to access them. The camps aren't inexpensive, either, given the difficulty in supplying them.
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 01:27 AM

Hi Shay
I saw a posting from you elsewhere that you liked remote camps. Be sure to ask your consultant/booking agent to request a night of fly-camping at Katuma Bush Lodge in Katavi. It sounds like it will be right up your street!
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 03:49 AM

waaaah