Marrakech Medina Riads & things to do

Old Mar 28th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Marrakech Medina Riads & things to do

Hi guys,

I've booked flights for May to Marrakech for 10 days. I'm thinking to spend all of it in the centre of town, in the Medina. I was wondering:

- if any Fodorites have riad recommendations
- if I should split my time between Medina and ___?

Look forward to your ideas
Old Mar 29th, 2013, 07:34 AM

10 days there might be too many. Think about making trips to Essouira and Taroudant.
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 08:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ten days is far too long for Marrakesh. One full day (two nights) is adequate, two is plenty. There is much more to see in Morocco besides Marrakesh's very touristy medina. Essaouira is OK, but you should go north to Fez, or possibly east to the desert. Click on my name for my Morocco TR.
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

To be honest we plan to spend some time just in the riad, to do nothing! Thanks for the trip report had a little look... have either of you any tips on central accommodation?

Also, we realise that its too long for one place but is it realistic to have Medina as a base and go from there rather for day trips/hikes.

We like hiking - any tips on companies and routes?
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 01:30 PM

No, Marrakesh is not a good base for day trips. If you want to hike you need to be in the mountains. Maybe based out of Imlil.

I liked Riad Hasna (www.riadhasna.com ) which was central. However, if you really intend to spend 10 days in Marrakesh (which I don't recommend), you might want to split your time between the medina and the new (i.e. French) part of town.

I do not recommend Morocco as a destination for people who just want to do nothing. The Algarve or southern Spain would be better.
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 06:58 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm going to disagree that Marrakech and Morocco are no good for doing nothing. I've spent weeks in the Marrakech medina and enjoy Essaouira also. I believe it's a difference in temperament, not the place, that makes for the ability to do "nothing" for days at a time. I think you should give Marrakech a try. Walk around the medina and, as thursdaysd says, around Gueliz. The city is flat to easy to see on foot. I never get bored there and much prefer the kind of experience you describe to a more fast-paced style.

There's a comfortable bus to Essaouira if you feel like a break for a couple of days. It's another good place to do nothing.
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys, I have been to islamabad and delhi before and still been able to do nothing even amongst the madness so should be ok - my concern was that it might be hard for day trips but there are some tours that will pick you up in Medina, and call by Imlil too... Wanted to be fairly central as mostly we'll be on foot!
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 10:37 AM

We loved the Riad Kniza on our trip in 2010. I have to second what thursdaysd said - 10 days would be a really long time for me in Marrakesh - but everyone's different!

We did do a day trip from there to hike and see the Tin Mal mosque. So you could make arrangements with your riad I'm sure to do something outside the city.
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 10:50 AM

My thought was not that it might be hard to nothing in Marrakech (I would find it impossible, but we're all different) but that it is a waste to go to Morocco and do nothing, when there is so much to do and see.
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 11:04 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
You might be taking "nothing" too literally. I do what I say is nothing but is really sort of floating around, going where and when the spirit moves me. And if someone asked what, exactly, I was doing I might say nothing as I don't know exactly until I do it. Of course there's plenty to see and sometimes I get there and sometimes not, wherever "there" is. I guess one could say I'm not goal oriented. And as you both say, we're all different.
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 05:37 AM

thursday- i have friends who are headed to Paris for 4 days soon and their only plan is to sit in a park somewhere and people-watch. It's their first time there, maybe their only time there. I almost bit my tongue off to avoid giving my opinion of that plan. People are very different!
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 01:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again - I'm with MmePerdu - I'm not looking to laze on a beach, just somewhere interesting to people watch and not necessarily have a goal - I have a couple of day trips planned so thanks for your suggestions!
Old Apr 17th, 2013, 07:27 PM

Craft: No matter what you end up "doing" in Marrakech (and possibly Essaouira), these pics will familiarize you with certain elements of the two cities. Certainly not professional, but in the eyes of an old traveler. Been hearing a different drummer for over 65 yrs.now, going back to 1946 and my first trip...two years in Japan, arriving on a trans-Pacific cruise paid for by the US government! Thank your parents for me.

Pix in next post. (I have two other "groups"of Maroc pix...
(Fes and the desert and the gorges)
Old Apr 17th, 2013, 07:30 PM

https://picasaweb.google.com/stuarttower/Maroc3#

Craft...here they are.

stu tower