Search

Greystoke?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greystoke?

Greystoke was on my wish list for next year, but other than tracking the chimps, the activities seem pretty slim. It does look beautiful, but since I live in Hawaii, I can beach or snorkel 365 days a year so that would not interest me. Is there another destination to see chimps? Or would I be better off thinking of gorilla treks?
Thanks,
Dennis
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 02:27 PM
bwanamitch

Dennis,

Mahale Mountains is the best place to watch chimps in their natural environment. And it's really worth a visit.

If you're looking for additional activities at Mahale Mountains, you should check other operators such as Flycatcher Safaris (www.flycat.com). These people are working very closely with TANAPA and the local communities at Mahale Mountains and offer 'cultural encounters', with visits of local villages and dance performances.

Mitch

Old Sep 11th, 2005, 02:36 PM

You can see chimps in Uganda.

Ngamba island, off of Entebbe, is a refuge for over 20 adults and young chimps that have been rescued from bad situations. These are no longer truly wild animals, but they spend their days roaming the island at will. You can visit for a day, half day, or longer and observe feedings or you can volunteer on the island for several days or more. I first went on a half day trip and then a few years later volunteered there. In 2004 you could walk with the young chimps in the forest, and they would climb up on your back or head and around your waist. If this is still allowed, it was quite amazing.

Also in Uganda is Kibale where the chimps are completely wild. You can observe them for about an hour or spend the day with them and watch them make their nests for the night. I hope this all day program is still available as it was in 2002 when I was there.

In Queen Elizabeth National Park in Uganda there is a forested area called Chambura (Chymbura--different spellings) Gorge and you can track chimps there with about a 45% success rate of seeing them per visit. I enjoyed the visit but found Kibale much more exciting. However Kibale requires a 2-3 day commitment and is a ways north near Fort Portal, while Chambura is a convenient morning visit if you are in Queen Elizabeth, a common and lovely destination in Uganda.

You can never be wrong thinking gorilla treks, but that is a different experience than the chimps. Gorillas in Uganda or Rwanda are easily combined with chimps for a primate intensive safari.

Though I have not been, Greystoke is supposed to be one spectacular destination that you may not wish to pass up.
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 02:53 PM
bwanamitch

I consider another option: lowland gorillas in Gabon and Congo.

Mitch

Old Sep 11th, 2005, 04:36 PM

I have gone gorilla treking in both Bwindi (Uganda) and Parc Nacional Volcans (Rwanda) and its great, but there's not a lot to do after your morning trek. I was unsuccessful spotting chimps at the gorge in Queen Elizabeth NP, although we heard them.

Old Sep 11th, 2005, 05:47 PM

Mitch: Gabon is on my secret wish list! Have you been reading Mike Fay's reports in National Geographic?
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 07:47 PM
bwanamitch

Sharon,

No. I take my inspirations from the following book:
http://www.safari-shop.de/CoffeeTabl...#1-59258-040-8

Mitch

Old Sep 11th, 2005, 08:22 PM
Original Poster

Bwana-saw on your website the movie "Nowhere in Africa" so watched it last night-excellent and the scenery was spectacular...amazing website you have there too! So much info, thanks again for your expertise!
sorry to hijack the thread but it is my thread!
Dennis
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 05:39 AM

Dennis - I'm not positive, but I think it's OK to hijack your own thread. ;-)

On another subject, can you tell me a bit about your plan to go to Chobe from Zambia? Who are you going with, or who is taking you there? Thanks!
Sharon
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Sharon~there are two tour companies I am looking at, basically the same thing. Pick up at hotel in Livingstone (Stanley Safari for us) @ 7:30, morning river cruise on the Chobe river and an afternoon game drive in Chobe, return by sunset. From the Zambia side it's $171.00 pp and from the Zim side $130.00 pp. www.safpar.com/chobe.htm or www.afrizim.com Haven't booked yet, my traveling partner wants to spend time at the falls and recoup after the elephant back safari, but we will probably end up doing it, what's another $342.00 + tips??!!
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 09:31 AM

"Hmmmm...., " she said, with a misty gleam in her eye, "maybe a couple of nights in Botswana ARE an option...."
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

so many options....ching, ching
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 09:49 AM
bwanamitch

...sounds like Rocco. ;-)

Old Sep 12th, 2005, 10:13 AM
bwanamitch

Sharon, I associate this quote more with the Mara.

Old Sep 12th, 2005, 10:17 AM

It's OK! I suppose I DO sound like Rocco! Oh well, it's all good... one day I will have a REAL trip itinerary with which to dazzle everyone. Hell, hopefully I'll be dazzled myself - rather than frazzled!!!
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 10:24 AM
bwanamitch

In the not so far future we share the same - NO itinerary!

Old Sep 12th, 2005, 10:30 AM
bwanamitch

Dennis,
are you telling me that you saw 'Out of Africa' for the first time?!

Old Sep 12th, 2005, 10:31 AM

cooncat,

I'm the last one who should be giving advice, but...

There's no such thing as a perfect trip/itinerary. The less money you spend this time, the more you'll have for next time.

And there WILL be a next time.

Good luck!!!

Dennis--I haven't done chimp or gorilla tracking, but my 2 cents: gorillas, gorillas, gorillas.
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 10:36 AM
bwanamitch

Leely,

if you ever have been half a metre next to a free living chimp I'm not sure if you still will telling this.

Mitch

Old Sep 12th, 2005, 10:39 AM

BwanaMitch,

Please don't give me any more incredible experiences to put on my wish-list; my bank account can't handle it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -