Search

Last minute trip planning questions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2011, 02:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last minute trip planning questions

Hi Everyone

Am getting ready with a bunch of last minute preparations for my trip to Botswana in December and had a couple of questions

1.) I received my Final trip info pack today and for my charter transfer from a Botswana camp to VFA via Kasane it says that " On arrival at Kasane and after clearing customs and immigrations, you will be met by a Representtive who will assist you with the arrangements for the flight to VFA" . What immigration are we talking about here? Does one require a transit visa at Kasane (Zambia) if not leaving the airport? I have no other reason to clear immigration. From what I have read on visa information, Zambia has no transit visa requirements if leaving the airport in either the same aircraft or the next scheduled aircraft within 24 hours. I am an Indian passport holder but to the best of my knowledge that shouldnt matter for transit visa?

2.) On my arrival into JNB before the trip starts, I land really early around 6:30 am and need to clear immigration and baggage before checking in for Air Botswana. This involves a transit from Arrival to Departure.

a.) Do you have to pay extra to have someone from your camp operator's JNB staff come to meet you if its early hours as above? I am being met later at Maun for the whole trip information package etc.

b.) Because this is the first time to South Africa, wanted to know if it was ordinary and expected of the camp operator to arrange for a representative to meet at JNB before I check in for the Air Botswana flight.

Appreciate any inputs, thanks a bunch in advance!!!
Old Nov 7th, 2011, 04:37 AM

Kasane is in Botswana. I'd be surprised if you were flying from Kasane to VFA- I would expect a road transfer for that. I haven't done it to Zim, but I've done it to Livingstone and got one driver to take me to the river, then a quick ferry crossing, then collected on the other side to clear Zambian Immigration, then a drive to Livingstone.
Old Nov 7th, 2011, 07:14 AM

Hi There,

I have traveled from Botswana safari camps to Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe (VFA airport) and Livingstone, Zambia (LVI). I have done both options by boat/road (Livingstone), road only (Victoria Falls), and light aircraft only (LVI and VFA). In all cases you clear immigrations (get your passport stamped) in Kasane/BBK before leaving Botswana for Zimbabwe or Zambia. You also clear exit customs in Kasane. The person meeting you at the airport will simply assist you as you go from one plane to another. Although the airport is tiny they do technically have a domestic arrival terminal and international departure terminal. Sometimes, the two terminals are staffed by the same people that simply move from one to the other with you!

Can you kindly clarify where you are going at the Falls? I am concerned that you are talking about VFA and Zambia in the same discussion. They are in two different countries so it should be one or the other.

It would be odd if you were flying to VFA from Kasane/BBK as the road transfer gets you to your hotel in about the same amount of time for about $150 less per person.

When you land in JNB you should “enter” South Africa. The check-in counter for Air Botswana will open in terminal A around 810-820am if you are on the 1010am flight JNB-Maun/MUB. You can walk there on your own or hire a service for $50-$100 to meet you and walk with you.

Sorry to be blunt here but these questions should all have been answered by the company you booked with. You might want to take a closer look at all your arrangements given the confusion generated by these documents. Please verify if you are going to Livingstone or Victoria Falls. Please verify your flight is out of the right airport in the right country (VFA or LVI).

Craig Beal – owner – Travel Beyond
Old Nov 7th, 2011, 07:18 AM

I would also suggest checking your baggage through to Maun and then transiting through JNB.

Save a lot of hassle.
Old Nov 7th, 2011, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot everyone- my fault on confusing on geography wrt Kasane - been cleared by my agent as well- got a bit hassled there.

Regarding the JNB issue- thanks a lot Ibj2. Another Bots regular suggested the same and I wasnt earlier planning to check all the way in to Maun but it looks much easier than I thought.

Craig : I am booked on a direct flight from Kasane to VFA- the road is not an option as due to the absence of an embassy in my city, I opted out of getting a 4th visa (Zambia). Just the 3 visas (Bots, SA & Zim) will end up taking atleast 45 days due to various embassy issues and I am still grounded without a passport.
Old Nov 7th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Just to add I was earlier planning on Zambia as well but had to reroute because of the above problem.
Old Nov 7th, 2011, 02:15 PM

Tanya - when you travel by road from Kasane to VFA it is a 2 hour drive and you never go into Zambia. You will not need a Zambia visa as you never enter the country.

I suggest you verify your flight is from VFA and not LVI.

Hope this helps.

Craig Beal - owner - Travel Beyond