South Africa vs New Zealand

Feb 11th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

South Africa vs New Zealand

I have travelled all over New Zealand. I am told that the sceanary in South Africa is spectacular. After seeing the north and south islands of New Zealand is there anything different in South Africa? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Feb 11th, 2004, 01:25 PM

South Africa has no ski resorts or fjords, and its mountains don't resemble the Alps. The latitudes occupied by South Africa are largely north of those occupied by New Zealand. South Africa's southern tip is at something like the latitude of Canberra, Australia, and it's northern border is at something like the latitude of Rockhampton, Queensland.

As is the case in Australia, South Africa has a lush plain on its east coast. As one travels westward from the coastal plain, one climbs an escarpment onto a high interior plateau that is, for the most part, fairly flat and pretty dry. The south western corner (Cape Town) has a mediterranean climate, as Perth, Australia does. As one travels northwards along the west coast, conditions become increasingly desert-like.

South Africa has a very pleasant coastline (not fjords like New Zealand's South Island; South Arica's beaches are more akin to those in Australia).

Certain parts of South Africa (mainly the hotter, low-lying areas to the north and east of the country) have many wild animals that are not in New Zealand (lions, elephants, giraffes, wildebeest, zebras, many species of gazelle, etc.).

The majority of South Africa's human population is black, which is not the case in New Zealand.

English is the main business language in both countries, traffic drives on the left in both countries, both countries play cricket.

Well, those are the differences and similarities that spring immediately to mind.
Feb 11th, 2004, 09:22 PM

I eagerly opened this post thinking you were referring to the game tomorrow - Go Proteas! I will up at 3am local time to make sure that I don't miss a delivery.
One thing in common Judy left out is that both countries play rugby, although whether you can call what the Bokke have been playing lately "rugby" is debateable.
Feb 11th, 2004, 09:44 PM

After my flippant response I had another look at your post and pondered matters metaphysical.

One thing that is fundamentally different about the two countries is the general atmosphere or vibe. I mean no offence to any Kiwis out there but please remember that NZ is a very settled country = not much happens. Which is great if that?s what you want. I know ex-pats who felt that too much (admittedly not all of it good) happened in daily life in SA and that?s why they have chosen to leave ? many of them to Australia and New Zealand.

However, I prefer the low level excitement and challenge of living in South Africa. No matter whereabouts you are in SA you will see evidence of a cultural kaleidoscope that no other country in the world can match. That may seem like a very absolute statement, and I stand by it. SA is a veritable melting pot, everyone here has a story, a heritage and something unique about them. As a returning ex-pat friend says: Once Africa is in your blood, she stays.

Now on holiday you probably won?t encounter the same types of challenges, but you will definitely feel the atmosphere that overcoming obstacles, and building a society and a future generates.

traci

PS. And NZ has a lot more sheep! ;-)

Search this Thread