South africa visa studying and interning please help

Feb 15th, 2016, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

South africa visa studying and interning please help

Hello I am trying to understand how to get visas for my trip to south africa and after speaking with the SA embassy in NYC i did not receive much help

I am studying at the university of cape town from mid january- mid june and then planning on doing an unpaid internship directly after for 6 weeks

I know ill need a study visa for my time at UCT but after that expires can I use my 90 day tourist visa because I am a U.S. citizen? I asked if I could get an exchange permit after my study visa but was told that was impossible and I would have to fly back to new york? I find it hard to believe that it would not be possible for me to study and then intern

please let me know if you have any information at all I am continuing to try to do research but struggling to find the right information online
Feb 15th, 2016, 12:50 PM

Have you asked the university?
Feb 15th, 2016, 06:31 PM

Your tourist visa must begin from your country of residence flight/entry at customs. Things have gotten much more difficult with new rules put in place last year. You can't just go to a nearby country to get or extend a tourist visa, you have to go home. (The info from the S African Embassy was correct).

Again - ask UCT. it's not a common issue, so finding the info online is likely impossible and the new rules have only been in place since May, I believe. Don't rely on old info out there on the interwebs.

Search this Thread