South Africa Vaccinations?

Jul 28th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

South Africa Vaccinations?

We will be in Kruger area then Capetown in March. I am concerned b/c I have seen yellow fever listed as a "required" vaccination. However, my county health dept. informed me that they do not rec. this vaccine for that area. (I also checked with one area travel dr.). Everything that I have read online states the opposite.(the dr. told me this was out of date info)
Does anyone have up to date guideline of vaccinations for South Africa?
Jul 28th, 2005, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

Also one additional question.
We are taking a flight from Johannesburg to Cape Town. I have seen prior posts about baggage limits. Our flight is on South African Airways (however on our travel documents it states an Airbus, which I thought was rather large). Our limits would be normal, correct?
Jul 29th, 2005, 02:57 AM

A yellow fever vaccination certificate is not required for anywhere in South Africa (and once you arrive it's irrelevant), nor is innoculation required. I think you need a cert if you have come from a fever-endemic country.

See this page of the SAA website for baggage info: http://tinyurl.com/878jo

You are right, they are "normal" for flights where is is determined by mass.
Jul 29th, 2005, 03:41 AM

Hello,

I second what Arthur wrote -- yellow fever is most certainly NOT needed unless you are coming from an area where it is endemic. I just came back from Londoz (Sabi Sands) and I have never had a yellow fever vaccination or been asked for proof of vaccination.

When it comes to medical advice, trust a doctor, not the Internet -- there is a huge amount of incorrect and/or out of date medical information on the Internet. I'm a doctor myself, and I see this a sort of thing a lot.

Enjoy your trip!

Cheers,
Julian

Search this Thread