Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   South Africa tour – advice on Panorama route; drive through Swaziland etc’ (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/south-africa-tour-advice-on-panorama-route-drive-through-swaziland-etc-655604/)

aby Oct 28th, 2006 03:33 AM

South Africa tour – advice on Panorama route; drive through Swaziland etc’

Hi
i need your comments on few SA sections.
it's a time-tight Itinerary; kind o' &quot;coast 2 coast&quot;-express itinerary. Not wildlife-only but a taste of max variety within <i>'the world in one country'</i>
in order to have some more time for wildlife, Panorama route has been shortened to one day...

<font color="red">Q:</font> <b>Panorama Route</b>
Panoramic Route: Pilgrim's Rest, God's Window, see Bourke's Luck Potholes, Blyde River Canyon, Three Rondavels, Lisbon Falls, Mac Mac Falls
coming from Jo'burg (~5h drive?) is it possible to all of those in a {long} day<b>?</b>
how long is a minimal stop at each in your opinion <b>?</b>

<font color="red">Q:</font> <b>Drive from White River to Hluhluwe Lodge</b>
does anyone know or can estimate how long is the drive<b>?</b>
Driving through the Ezulwini valley,Swaziland.
* any recommended stops on the way <b>?</b>

thanks in advance

aby

Arbizulu Oct 28th, 2006 10:13 PM

Hi Aby,
Hope I can help with your questions. Regarding the Panorama Route, this can be done in one day but it is a long day and if you are staying in the Kruger Park be careful with the timing as the gates close at a certain hour and you could be stuck. Are you driving yourselves?
Pilgrims Rest- This is where you will probably spend most time as there are quite a few shops etc. Gods Window will probably be around a 20 minute stop if you walk up to the viewing point. Blyde River Canyon and Three Rondavels you will see as you drive to Bourkes Luck, you might want to stop at a viewing point to take some photos, and the Lisbon Falls and Mac Mac Falls will probably take 10 to 15 minutes each. Where are you staying in the Kruger Area?
WHite River to Hluhluwe can be a long drive, at least 7 to 8 hours as you have to be careful in Swaziland as the roads are not that great and one must watch out for cattle. There is a company in Swaziland that organises a local guide to meet you at the border post and go with you as you drive through Swaziland explaining the history etc and you drop them off at the other side of the country on your way out. They also point out any interesting spots along the way. If you are interested the name of the company is Swazi Trails and the contact details are [email protected]. Are you going to Hluhluwe River Lodge?
Hope this helps a little.
Peggylou

aby Oct 29th, 2006 12:13 AM

Thanx Peggylou !!

you've been really helpful!
&amp; i've got some more questions for you...

at the end of the Panoramic Route o/n at Tshukudu Game Lodge (near Hoedspruit) which is better than chasing &quot;curfew&quot; at Kruger's.
(posted an unanswered question about Tshukudu vs. Bundu)
<font color="red">Q:</font> <b>Any comments on Tshukudu Game Lodge ?</b>
Next day after game drives (+ bush walks with lions) o/n in White River - meaning time for any missed/extra stops on Panoramic Route.
Now a day in Kruger's returning to o/n at White River.

Thanks for the tip of a guide in Swaziland.
o/n Hluhluwe Lodge (not Hluhluwe River Lodge).

Now we come to another full long day
(it is a squeezed Itinerary...)
Early morning GD @ Hluhluwe, Boat @ St. Lucia Lake &amp; drive to Durban!

<font color="red">Q:</font> <b> how long is the drive St. Lucia --&gt; Durban </b>

<font color="red">Q:</font> <b> How is the safety situation on Durban streets &gt;</b>
I've heard rumours about it.
(my last visit to Durban - during Apartheid times)

Thanks again

aby

Arbizulu Oct 29th, 2006 01:39 AM

Hi Aby,
Unfortunately I have never been to Tshukudu before or Bundu so cannot comment on them. Don't forget to get there early afternoon so that you don't miss the game drive. I would suggest you go through Dullstroom to get to Pilgrims Rest, and the rest of the itinerary instead of doing it the White River way, as you will come back on that route and going the back way is shorter.
St Lucia is about 2 hours and 35 minutes from Durban so not a long drive at all. What time of the year are you going to be there?
As for Durban, you will see many changes since your last visit. Where are you staying in Durban. The streets are fine as long as you take the normal precautions, not walk around with cameras etc in town, or down the South Beach area or at night. If you are looking for an area with good restaurants and a vibey atmosphere, Florida Road is a good bet. The new Ushaka Aquarium is also worth a visit. Let me know if there is anything else you need to know as I am right here in Durban!!
Bye for now
Peggylou

Arbizulu Oct 29th, 2006 01:42 AM

Hi Aby
Just a tip, if you need distances etc Shell have a very good website with distances etc. Here is the link, http://www.shellgeostar.co.za/
Bye

aby Oct 30th, 2006 06:08 AM

Peggylou - thank u so much once again
especiallt for the link ( a must for anyone trying to plan a SA tour)

aby

PS thought tt meant Trinidad &amp; Tobago

Arbizulu Oct 30th, 2006 06:21 PM

A pleasure Aby...and yes it is Trinidad and Tobago. Lived there for 4 years but back in SA now but have kept my email for my private mail...hence the tt.....
Bye and if you need any more help with this area let me know
Peggylou

ArthurSA Oct 30th, 2006 10:27 PM

That Shell site is a good one for getting overall distances and time estimates. But be careful about following the detail literally. And when the route includes major highways, it can appear more complicated than it really is. Because (unless they've changed it recently), every time it reaches a major town, it inserts additional &quot;freeway segments&quot; Whereas in reality it's a single stright road!

Nevertheless, I use it fairly often.

Arbizulu Oct 31st, 2006 07:14 PM

Yes, agree with you, I mainly use it for the distances and to get an idea of times etc.
Peggylou