Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > South Africa, Thailand, or Egypt where should we go??

South Africa, Thailand, or Egypt where should we go??

Jul 22nd, 2005, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

South Africa, Thailand, or Egypt where should we go??

Hi

My hubby gave me these destinations to choose from. We have traveled many times to Europe and he wants to see different parts of the world. How is the safety for Americans in these locals. They are each so different and beautiful with their own culture that I cannot wait to experience (without throwing in any Americanism's if you know what I mean). I plan to stay in Starwoods, or Marriotts where ever I go. Any thoughts?

I appreciate all of your candid advice on the subject. This is why Fodorites have picked several places i have traveled to.

Thanks
Jul 22nd, 2005, 05:22 PM

Do a search on Capetown and you will find many wonderful trip reports here -- also look for South Africa and safari. Don't expect many Starwood/Marriotts, although there may be a couple (are you doing this with points?). Some of the more charming places to stay are small and frankly will cost far less than you may be expecting. Regardless, you will find the geography, the people, the "flora and fauna" and everything about South Africa to be totally fascinating and impressive.
Jul 23rd, 2005, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

uhoh busted

yes we are going on points but I know that a quaint small hotel can be enchanting. Do yo have any suggestions on the itinerary? We are thinking of 10-12 days. We have 5 kids so I cannot be gone to long. We have no idea how to even plan for this trip. I have read other posts and I think this may be my safest bet.

Thank you!
Jul 23rd, 2005, 11:55 PM

lol , i've to say Egypt for my name . but i will very honest with u , go to Thailand now , it's really good .
wish luck for you
Jul 24th, 2005, 04:43 AM

I would say South Africa, and consider a side trip to Victoria falls in Zimbabwe or Zambia. You will probably fly through Joburg and the side trip to Victoria falls isn't that expensive.You could have Safari time, adventure time, beach time, and big city time!

I've actually been to all three locations several times, and South Africa has to be my favorite.
Jul 24th, 2005, 09:59 AM

I've also been to all three and I say South Africa is my favorite.
Jul 24th, 2005, 04:40 PM

I've been to Thailand and SA. SA is the best of those two. Although Thailand probably has more "exotic" beaches.
Jul 25th, 2005, 06:07 AM

Between South Africa and Thailand (haven't been to Egypt yet), I love both but it depends on what you're interested in. Both have lovely scenery and fascinating culture.

If interested in wildlife viewing/safari and if you enjoy wineries then I would choose South Africa. If you prefer shopping and snorkeling then I would choose Thailand. I also think Thailand has the best food in the world.

The Arabella Sheraton in Cape Town is supposed to be lovely but other than that I don't think there are many Sheratons or Marriotts in South Africa. Thailand on the other hand has many of both, and in particular the JW Marriott in Phuket is FANTASTIC (we spent part of our honeymoon there) -- there is also a Marriott in Bangkok that is supposed to be great too. I think there is a Sheraton in Chiang Mai which is supposed to be pretty good.

Overall I prefer South Africa -- there is something very special about being able to see so much wildlife -- swim with penguins on the beach -- drive yourselves around Kruger National Park and watch massive herds of elephants...but Thailand is wonderful too. It just depends on what you want from your trip. Cape Town is a gorgeous, fantastic city.

If staying in Starwoods & Marriotts is your priority then you should probably choose Thailand, but I hope you don't choose solely on that criteria as there are so many other lovely accommodations in both countries.

In terms of safety, we felt totally safe in both South Africa and Thailand.

Enjoy your planning.

Search this Thread