South Africa some questions about Cape Town

Jul 21st, 2004, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

South Africa some questions about Cape Town

I would like to know if most attractions/shops/restaurants, etc. in Cape Town are open on Saturday and Sunday. I will be taking a tour of South Africa which starts in Jo'burg and ends in Cape Town on a Friday. I would like to spend two extra days in Cape Town by myself. Also, is it better for a tourist to stay in the city bowl or near the waterfront. Thanks.
Jul 21st, 2004, 10:24 PM

Sure that Selwyn will have some comments re whether better to stay in the city bowl or waterfront - although they are very close. In terms of facilities over the weekend = rest assured that things will be 100% operational. The only slight difference may be a 5pm closing time for some stores, and the banks will only be open on Sat morning.
Jul 21st, 2004, 10:33 PM

RJames,

Most shops in Cape Town are open till Saturday 13h00. Thereafter the only shops that will be open will be in the shopping malls such as the Watefront, Canal Walk and Cavendish Square. In all fairness the last two malls are reasonably far outside the city centre. One thing is for sure and that is that after 13h00 on Saturday the central city simply closes down while the mall shops all remain open till 21h00.

On a Sunday there is a huge flea market at the Green Point stadium which is a whole day event.

Restaurants in all areas remain open at all times be it a Satirday or a Sunday.

Most attractions that tourist visit remain open for the whole weekend other than in the city centre where most close down for the weekend. These type of attractions are very few anyway so I would not worry about this.

In terms of where to stay be it the City Bowl or Waterfront area it simply becomes a case of horses for courses. The Waterfront area is going to be a lot more expensive to stay in relative to the city bowl. The Waterfront is going to be a lot more comfortable when it comes to location. The Waterfront is where you will come up against many tourists while the city bowl is where you will find many locals. There are lots of restaurants in both areas and the activity in the two areas equate each other.

My opinon is dont place to much effort on the Waterfront as it simply is a shopping mall. Rather spend your time seeing the beauty of Cape Town by meeting its people and travelling out to the Cape Peninsula for a day by using a hired car, scheduled tour or private tour. Now thats where the true beauty of the city truly lies. To attain this I would suggest staying in the city bowl area near to Kloof Road. On the Saturday enjoy the activity of the city centre in the morning by walking into it from a city bowl adddress. After 13h00 move on to the the Waterfront and spend time there.
Return to Kloof Road and have dinner in one of the lcoal restaurants in the area which will be close to a city bowl address of stay.

On the Sunday do the Cape Peninisula ride as this takes a full day to do.

Somwhere in the middle of all of this ascend Table Mountain with the rule being if the weather permits this activity take your chances when you have this as matters can change within minutes as to whether the mountain is "open or not" due to weather.

Where to stay and where to eat depends on the depth of your pocket.

Hope this all helps.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa

Jul 22nd, 2004, 03:16 AM

I would agree that the Waterfront is not the best place to stay - you'll visit at least once when you take the ferry to Robben Island and we popped in for very quick visits a couple of times (to buy CDs for the car and some bubble wrap and tape to parcel things up to send home and for a couple of meals) but other areas are nicer to stay in.

We stayed in Greenpoint and liked it very much. We liked being so close to the centre of town. Some friends have been happier staying further out. Others have felt as we did and liked being so central.

City bowl area looks fun too.

Would second recommendation for the Greenpoint market on Sundays - we enjoyed browsing there very much.
Jul 22nd, 2004, 05:35 PM

We stayed in the Green Point area, as well. It was easy to walk from there to restaurants in the area, and in the afternoon we did walk to the V&A Waterfront quite easily and safely. We took a cab back at night as it 1) it was easy 2)inexpensive and 3)it felt right. We knew our last full day there would be a Sunday, and knowing the big market was walking distance was one reason why we picked Green Point!

Search this Thread